Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Home again

We are home again. It was an interesting weekend in that we had to bring back furniture that broke. The first thing that fell apart when I touched it was a lamp. I was going to adjust it, and it came apart. I know how to fix lamps, but this one didn't give me enough space on the screw part to reconnect it. The lamp was one bought at one of the assistance ministries around, so I wasn't too upset. It served its purpose for six years.

The second was my chair! Now these chairs weren't exactly the top of the line pieces of furniture at the get go. They were the little inexpensive $99 fake leather swivel rockers. In the last few months, the plastic was separating from the backing. I was constantly doctoring the arm padding with the glue bottle. Of course, all that did was make it uncomfortable. I have been thinking about replacing them for several months, but I really hate to spend $300 + on a new chair. I also don't want to haul said new chairs from Swampland to the SSB. I just have not been able to figure out where I would buy new ones. Well, now I have an idea. I am going to check the thrift shops in the area.

We brought home the pieces of those things. Today is heavy trash pickup here, so we put them at the curb. When G went out this morning, they were gone. I know the lamp can be fixed - if you have the patience. The chair - I'm not so sure. Daughter had a chair like that one about three years ago. It didn't last long. I know what broke, and I really don't think it is worth fixing - especially with the plastic coming off.

As for our a/c update. They sent the good technician out Thursday evening. I called on Thursday only to be told they would call back. That didn't happen, so I called again. When I finally talked to James and told him we had no a/c, he set up a technician to come out. The first guy had no idea, but the second, who has been here twice before and is good, fixed the unit. We were cool Thursday night. In fact with about 1/3 of the duct work still out, it is doing a beautiful job of cooling the house. Of course, the weather has moderated - again. It is only about 70 outside right now.

James had called before we got home. I returned his call. They probably won't be able to complete the job (estimated to be a half day) until Friday. It seems to me that it would be better to not start a job if there are others hanging. We didn't have to have it done immediately. We weren't without cooling. Oh well. We'll see.

Peace.

No comments: