Monday, May 11, 2009

We survived

Yesterday was not only Mother's Day, but literally D day - Dedication Day. We survived!

We got to the church at the appointed hour to get seats - 11 AM. I called Son's cell - no answer. So I tried DIL's cell. She answered. They had not left their house yet. It was agreed upon that we would meet outside the church when they got there. About 15 minutes later - they were there. We went into the church.

I can honestly say that I felt that we were entering a movie theater. In the middle of (what in my church) is the narthex was a big "information center." To my left was the snack bar. It did have a name something like (church's name) cafe. The whole area was about the size of the lobby of a mega movie theater. People were EVERYWHERE!

We went into the church. The lights were dimmed and the canned music was blaring. People were milling about. At the ends of the rows and rows of chairs were little plastic buckets. At the backs of some sections of chairs were set ups of wine and bread with something in a picture frame about communion.

We sat down, and best of all I got to hold Wiggle Worm. That baby is a morning person. I do not know how he got into this family! He doesn't fit. Anyway, then the "service" began. I honestly felt like I was at a rock concert. All the cameras were sending their signals to the big screens mounted in the front of the church.

I do not mean to step on toes here. The new Lutheran church I would like to attend because of their dynamic pastor is contemporary. It has a band. It has a lead and bass guitar. It was drums. It has singers at microphones, but it is not rock. They continued through about three numbers. It was a concert.

Finally the main preacher came out in his worn jeans and untucked shirt. He said several things, and the dedication was on. There were probably ten children who were being dedicated. When it came to WW, he was clearly not happy.

G and I come from backgrounds of infant baptism. I laughed with G saying that WW was wondering where the water was for the baptism which is his heritage too!

After the dedication, they announced communion. You just were to get up and wander back to the areas where the bread and grape juice (? I don't really know) were there. Then they sat back down so they could pass out the plastic buckets to collect the offering.

Finally was the message. He was good. He quoted several Bible verses. They had a little insert i n the bulletin where you were expected to take notes and fill in blanks.

I am sure most of those people got a lot out of that service. It left me cold. I am the very first to admit that I am caught up in the way we worship. I love a liturgical service. For me, it sets the mood and prepared me to worship. The emphasis of our service is communion. Everything builds to that event.

I know Son wants us to come back to experience the main preacher. He says he is so good. He may be, but I won't be back. That church just doesn't do it for me, and that's fine - obviously the church where he was raised doesn't do it for him any more.

Peace.

1 comment:

Judy said...

Oh my gosh--this is so like the church my daughter had her last baby baptized in. So casual and just like you said, wander back for communion--I am use to going up to the altar for it AND kneeling. however, they love the pastor there so...it is their church, but certainly not mine. :-)