Thursday, May 07, 2009

Probably controversial

I try to keep away from controversial topics here. The reason for this blog is not do have idealological arguments. I usually just want to share little life happenings, and it started for the grandchildren. Of late, I keep wondering if I want any of them to read it because of some statements I have vented about family members.

Anyway, I really need to vent about this topic. When we had schools close here due to the flu, some parents were up in arms. Now for the ones who are supposed to be at work, I can really understand. They have no other placement for school age children. A day care isn't going to take them for a week or two - even if they have space, and they don't have programs for older children in place at this time of year.

The mother that took the absolute cake for me was the one who said she wouldn't be able to feed her children. She depended on the school to do that. I know times are tough and very tight for a lot of people. Your children are supposed to be at the top of your expense list. A child doesn't eat that much. I guess she depends on the neighborhood programs in the summer too. Feeding your child is your responsibility.

(Now out comes the soap box for more)

Teaching really made me aware of how little some parents want to parent. They want to turn all the sticky stuff over to the schools. They want after school programs to be provided by the schools. In reality, many want before schools too. I honestly believe they would only like their children home for a couple of hours.

Having been trapped in middle school for most of my career and teaching 7th grade science, I was one of the cadre of the chosen to have to teach sex ed. I am a full believer that subject is an absolute necessity. I didn't mind doing it. I know too many parents are just simply not comfortable to talk about IT.

The problem is when you consider all the nationalities and religions we have in the public school. All parents wanted sex to be taught "their way." We had such a canned unit that it was really scary to teach it the way it was supposed to be taught. We did have an alternate unit for those parents who didn't want their children in class. I'm sure they learned all the subject matter on the bus on the way home, but they were given a regular health unit.

We separated boys and girls, and to show that none of us were shy about the subject matter, we would rotate between the two groups. The scary part I referred to was the dreaded anonymous question box. Remember - I am talking about 7th graders. Some of the questions were good. Others were put in to see what the reaction would be as well as the answer. Now, those questions very well might have covered some of the material that was purposely left out of the curriculum.

In reality, I think all questions should have been answered. We have entirely too many teen mothers here. What we are doing isn't working. But . . . We had to watch our mouths because if something got home to a parent that they didn't approve - well you can finish that thought.

Back to my original rant. I don't want to see children go hungry, do home to empty houses that could tempt them to do who knows what, or be poorly educated. It isn't the child's fault. But depending on the school for the nourishment of your children!!! I think it is time for today's parents to step up to the plate and take responsibility for that child. The schools cannot and should not be everything to everybody.

Peace.

1 comment:

Judy said...

If the mother was that bad off financially, wouldn't she have food stamps with which to feed her children. I was a teacher's aid for awhile--one day we got a note from a mother that Johnny had been bad, she listed what he had done, and wondered if the teacher could discipline him. You are right...some people want the school to be/do everything.