Wednesday, May 20, 2009

HAL is taking over

Yes, I really believe HAL, from the movie "2001" is taking over my life - and I'm losing!

The new, much ballyhooed a/c system is (gasp) computer controlled. I read the instruction booklet. I go to set the temperature. I still get a "hold until X:XX (time). I try to reset it to a cooler temperature, and it only holds for x amount of time. I am supposed to be able to program "events" in to it. What events?? There are no events around here. We get up, G leaves, I "do" my computer stuff, I eat lunch, and so on. I just need the thing to keep a temperature.

I made the mistake of allowing the temperature setting to be a little higher last night. It sure was! There was no getting up in the middle of the night and bumping the thermostat any more. You have to reprogram it.

I think it will be great in the winter when I want the heat LOW at night, then let it warm up when G gets up. I can't believe he is so cold natured. I think he really needs to live on the equator. The man wears long sleeves all year long. I'm sure glad he doesn't want to retire. I think we would kill each other within a week.

My next problem with computers came this morning. I have had to be sure that F*irfox is not my default browser. If I do, when it gets its panties in a ruffle, I would be dead in the water. The problem with going back to E*plorer is that my bookmarks do not come along. So my browsing is limiited. I was in the middle of reading blogs when the F got in a snit. I could go to E to check the business email and so on, but I have to wait for F to settle down to finish my reading.

I'm fighting these computers - and they are winning! What a bummer.

To add insult to injury, I need to call the alarm people. When we came in Monday, G, with his infinitely poor memory, messed up the keypad I think. It is flashing numbers that I don't understand and is not ready to arm. I'm afraid to try to do anything with it. I don't want it going off. That is not a pleasant situation.

So I am going to try the other browser, then call the alarm people. Wish me well! I wonder if the computers cam tie me up in wires and chips??

Peace.

1 comment:

Judy said...

A programmable thermostat--I remember having one and it took me 3 or 4 times reading the booklet to figure it out. it worked great when I was working and away, now I just bump the thermostat up or down, don't need none of them fancy thangs!!