Friday, May 22, 2009

HAL, part 2

I hate hackers! I know this is not an unusual statement because who in the world likes them with the exception of other hackers. If the world were free of these horrible people, we wouldn't have to load our computers with hundreds (ok, mild exaggeration here) of programs to keep them from infecting and invading out computers.

What, you may ask, is causing this tirade? It is simple, my friends. When I boot my computer, it is because I want to do some work. I want to do it immediately. But all too often, there is no way because said computer(s) are having a moment. They are in control, and you can't get in. Why are they in control? It is because they are automatically downloading updates to said programs and/or they are scanning the computer.

I really thought my computer(s) could do more than two things at one time, but apparently this is not the case. This morning I wanted to turn the computer on, log on to the internet, do my things, and then go on with my other business. That was not in Gertie's plan. She wanted to do a virus scan - which is a noble thing to do. I know it must be done, but immediately upon booting?? Not only that, but apparently there was an update on the firewall, so off she went.

I know what you're thinking. I should have someone run a real check and find all the hidden bugs that these programs miss. You are absolutely correct. I know I can't do it, but the local computer guru place will keep the computer for several days. Not. What. I. Want.

I guess this particular HAL and I will just have to learn to coexist. But I don't have to like it.

Peace.

No comments: