Saturday, August 27, 2011

Irene

As I watch the news reports about this storm as it chugs up the East Coast, I also pray for all of you in its path.  I have never been to NYC, but my impression is that it is the LAST place I would want to be in a hurricane like this ones seems to be.  I know about the winds, the power outages, and the flooding.  The last place I would want to be is in a high rise apartment building.  Around here, you are to put coverings over windows (which WE never have done, but....)  How can you cover those?  What do you do until power is restored - unless you are luckier than we were.

These are just the thoughts of a simple "flatlander" Gulf Coast resident.  I haven't seen most of the area where this storm is heading.  I have been further north - like New Hampshire, but never to the south along there.  I really do hope you get through this storm well.  What's the deal with these "I" storms??  Ike is the once that really made believers of the folks in Galveston again.  They didn't get the hint with Katrina.  That storm went so far to their east.

As for us, we are huddled under the a/c vents looking for the season's record breaking heat today  and tomorrow.  Sorry our little 1/4 cup of moisture is being pulled into that storm to drop even more rain.  We are left with dry, HOT, HOT air.  I have to listen to G go on and on about how he is not going to put up with this heat next year.  He is correct, we are supposed to be lucky (?) enough to have another high pressure area over us the rest of the year and again next year.

So with that, I am scaling the stairs to my sanctuary to slave over hot sewing machines.  I have the granddaughter's dresses to finish and complete the final draft of the shell for the baptism blankets.  I will take it tomorrow to get everyone's approval.

Have a cool, safe weekend.  We had a reporter on TV who would say; "Good golf, good tennis, or whatever makes you happy."  Oh, and he was the TV reporter who inspired the movie "The Best Little Whore House in Texas!"  Just a little factoid for today.  Gotta go - the brain is getting toooo weird.

Peace.

1 comment:

yellowdoggranny said...

something I thought I would never say..poor yankees