Monday, July 17, 2006

Gotta be strong

Growing old is not for the weak! There are new developments everyday! I am dealing with the arthritis fairly well. I just get up more slowly that before, and standing for any length of time is completely out of the question. The two things that are bothering me the most are the loss of vision in my left eye and the carpal tunnel syndrome in my left hand. These things wouldn’t be as much of a worry if I had not said I would be pianist at the wedding of close friends of B and C.

The eye is better - although it will never be normal again. I had an occluded capillary that resulted in damage to the retina. The vision is still somewhat blurry, but at least there is an image. It just makes knowing where my hand is on the keyboard much more difficult, and it makes reading the music much harder.

The carpal tunnel flares up when it feels like it, and boy has it felt like it the last couple of weeks. The fingers become so numb. They feel like they are each six inches in diameter and get stuck in the keys. When I was an organist, it wasn’t so bad because I could use the pedal to help embellish the music. The left hand could be lazy and hit a note or two now and again. With no pedal, it has to pick up some of the duties!

I am in an absolute state of panic! The wedding is in two weeks. My practice sessions end with a very numb hand and a very discouraged person. I guess I will just have to keep working on the music. I wish my son wasn’t the musician he is! I don’t think I can keep the reputation going. It seems I lose ability everyday. I was once quite accomplished. I have played for churches off and on for forty four years. I began piano fifty four years ago. The old saying of "use it or lose it" is so true.

Keep your fingers crossed for me!

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Awww, I just wanted to say that I applaud you for being able to play the piano for churches for so many years!
I had piano lessons on and off growing up, but never committed myself to improving so never became accomplished at all. So...right now I play only for myself once in a blue moon and am also just staring to give me little girls beginner lessons.

You have done a great service to the Lord for just letting Him use you with music.
Good luck at the wedding!
Blessings,
~Tammy