Monday, August 15, 2011

Well, I did what I planned to do - I quit all my pain meds.  You remember this all began with the first knee replacement that will be two years in January.  The knee pain wasn't the factor - it was my back.  So later that year I was put on hydrocodone, Lyrica, Elevil, and later a muscle relaxant.  


I decided I was tired of all that.  As I said, G thought I was over medicated.  I tended to believe it too, and even though I didn't take the prescribed amount of the hydrocodone, I was anxious to quit.  I didn't really think the pain clinic was doing anything anymore anyway.  Just getting me hooked.


So - I stopped all of those pills, just as I had planned, never believing there would be any physical problems.  I was wrong, wrong, wrong.  Either that or I have had a strange flu.  Saturday I developed a splitting headache.  When I get one of those, I also get diarrhea (nice -sorry).  But my sinuses were clogged, so I thought it might be a sinus headache.   



We planned to eat dinner out with Daughter and SIL, so I just sucked it up, and out we went.  The headache was nearly blinding.  I slept fitfully that night.  Sunday morning came around, and there was no way I could chance church.  The headache endured.


Last night I really was not a lot better.  It was another night of waking every hour on the hour.  Today, there are still vestiges of the headache, and nothing is really "right" yet.  I just looked at some of the things of withdrawal.  It is a laundry list that could fit anything, but it fit me too.


I am in hopes that tomorrow is a new day because we are scheduled to pack up and drive the 5-6 hours to the SSB.  


And I thought I wasn't hooked.  I have probably 500 untaken hydrocodine pills.  That, to me, meant I was far from any dependence.  I don't know.  I  don't know, and I guess I will never know.  I am not going back to the pain clinic - that I do know.  I was in pain with the pills.  I do  not have the pain now.  Why???  Well, lesson learned.

5 comments:

JuJu said...

I'm sure your body is getting that out of your system and all the effects you are feeling are because your body has been used to it. But, I'm so glad to hear that you're already starting to feel better! That's great news.

I hope tomorrow will be even better and that you get some un-interrupted sleep!!

yellowdoggranny said...

when I quit taking all of the pain pills I was taking, I did it a little at a time..or you will be in worse pain than before..took me a couple of weeks..but it was a lot easier..

Cheyenne said...

After my husband's knee operations he was on pain pills and was told to not stop them all at once, but rather wean off of them a little at a time. Sometimes if you stop certain meds it does more harm than good.

Marti said...

Oh no. I'm surprised the headache didn't last longer. Did you go cold turkey or are you weaning off? Any dizzy spells?

Judy said...

Yes--yes!!! Wean off them!! It will take a couple of weeks, but no doubt in my mind, the headaches are from withdrawal.