Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I HATE squirrels

At first I was afraid to write that inflammatory title. I know there are scores of people who think the little things are so cute and furry. They will feed them, either with feeders in the yard, or by hand in the park. Their antics are considered cute. I could go on and on with all the things the fans of squirrels feel.

I don't see cute little fuzzy creatures that scamper and play. What is see are fuzzy tailed rats! Not really - I like rats (no, not the nasty Norwegian ones that get into garbage cans - the white/tan ones. They are really smart!) To me they are destructive little vermin, no better than the general, and correct feelings about the Norwegian rats.


We have had hundreds of dollars of damage done to our house by squirrels. Just because of the our roof line runs, there are perfect little ledges for them to sit and gnaw their way through the boards and get into the Squirrel Promised Land - our attic. Fixing the holes has cost us quite a bit. Now we are on a contract with a company who comes out to fix the holes and catch whatever vermin may have gained access to the attic. When I was moving things around in the attic, I was kneeling/sitting on pecan shells that they brought into the attic to make their little love nest complete.

Oh, and the pecan shells. We have given up trying to beat the squirrels to out pecans from out huge 30+year old pecan tree. There are so many squirrels now it is a losing battle. They win. I buy pecans now.

So why are squirrels my topic today? When I was on the way to the pain doc, I saw a squirrel running across the street with its tail pulled over its back, and rather "hunched" up (is that just a Texas word?). I was wondering why until instantly I looked up just a bit, and there was a furious mockingbird right on that squirrel. That bird was giving that squirrel hell. That continued all the way across the street and into the flower bed on the other side. That was one mad bird! Kudos to the mockingbird!

Peace be with you.

3 comments:

Judy said...

I thought you were going to say you ran in the ditch trying to run over the squirrel with your car. I know the damage they can do. We only have grey squirrels around here and all they do is sit on the bird feeder, eating their fill. People who have cottages up north, have problems with black squirrels gnawing on their roofs and gates. Do you smile every time you see one dead on the road? hee hee

Grandma K said...

I didn't know you had been riding with me Jude! I don't run them down, but when I see the little carcass, I think "one less, thank heavens!"

Kathy said...

I am with you in the hatred of squirrels. My dog has, in the last year, killed 4 squirrels in our back yard! I'm so proud!

Also? One day I was driving down the road and a squirrel ran in front of me and stopped. Gave me enough time to wonder "Hmmmm. I wonder what it will feel like to run over a squirrel?" It pretty much felt like I'd run over a little bump.