Monday, April 26, 2010

Question

Do you watch people? I have to admit I do. I most especially watch them when they do something that I find out of the normal.

I bring this up because I became a full watcher this morning. Over the weekend, G came home in our old faithful Pontiac with the window broken - as usual. It fell and couldn't get up. I wish the little alarm button worked on it. Anyway, that meant a trip to our mechanic, and then breakfast out. Yum. Love that place next to the mechanic.

I drove the truck, and when I got there, I parked a little away from all the other vehicles. The truck is DIRTY! It has been the the SSB twice in flood conditions and that means a lot of mud from the dirt roads. That dirt gets even up high on the truck.
I wouldn't choose our truck to park next to is where I'm going.

I was eating my omelet (yum, yum) when this bar pulled in. The old man chose, from the three available parking places, the one next to us. He was further away from the door even. But U began watching him.

He was very precise in his movements. When he got his coffee and sat with the paper, everything was exact placement. When his number was called for the food, he returned to his table (which was right in front of me - he couldn't have chosen a better place for me as a people watcher) he methodically moved everything around until it was perfect for him. Personally - I would have had it off the tray and going.

He was a great eater. I have to admit, I think a good part of my problem was teaching school for over 30 years. You are given 25 minutes at best, but you have to stand hall duty until that passing time is over, and the kidlets are in the cafeteria or wherever they were supposed to be. Then you have to be on hall duty BEFORE the bell rings to let them back out into the hallway and into your classroom So I eat fast. I probably don't enjoy and savor my food as I should, and then I am not satisfied sooner. Then I tend to overeat. But back to Mr Man. He put his fork down after each bite, and then read the paper. Then after a bit - take another bite.

Amazing a man like that would park to a potentially hazardous vehicle. I would think he would have taken the parking place in the middle of the three.

Then, a man I have seen before came in. I think he has become a regular. We haven't been there in months, but he was there the last time I was there. He has what I consider a horrible birth defect. Both arms are quite stunted. They probably are the length of just my forearm. His hands are like crab claws. He can fully take care of himself I believe. He comes there for breakfast. They all know him by name. He feeds himself probably better than I feed myself. It is amazing to watch him.

Then we ate lunch out. (It's great when G is off on Mondays and we are out doing things - like going to the plant nursery, etc) I began making scenarios about people there. There were only three others in the place. The one I made the scenario about was an older man. He was alone. I imagine this was his big meal of the day, and he will go home to perhaps a pet, but no one else. He will fix something like a bowl of cereal for dinner, and he will eat alone. He just looked like that would be what he played out.

So now, I have a lot of plants to re-pot. This winter had really cleaned us out. I am practically starting over. I realized that the injections really didn't work this time. At the nursery, I couldn't stand to walk too far. I was hurting so much. In fact, I had to go back to the truck. I wanted to get a couple of specimen plants. I lost a Hawaiian sun flower and a mandevilla. Not this trip. Perhaps in a month. We went to Lowe's first, and that wasn't bad because they had the shopping cart. The real nursery just had the pull wagon. Not good for me.

Hope your plants are growing beautifully and blooming profusely.

Peace be with you.

4 comments:

Judy said...

So funny. I also make up stories about people I see. Fred joins in and we imagine all sorts of things. Sorry the injections didn't work. My plants are slowly coming along--right on schedule.

Jeanette said...

I love to people watch. Especially outside in the summer when I can wear my sunglasses and they are not aware that I'm staring at them!

Marti said...

I love to people watch! I also wonder about their lives, if they are happy, or sad.

Sorry your injections aren't working. That really stinks about your washer too. I've done the same thing myself with the pickup window. I go to the drive through at the bank and it won't roll down. Come home and complain to Hubby and the button works. Grrr.

Grandma K said...

I am really glad to read your comments. After I posted, I thought I might be considered a strange voyeur or stalker!