Saturday, April 10, 2010

He won

After more than ten years, my son won. What exactly did he win? It was a contest he didn't even know he was in.

You see, he moved back in with us to try to save some money before he got married. That was good. We all agreed. Since I had already claimed his old room as my craft room, he moved into the guest bedroom - his sister's old room. It was a lovely room decorated with an antique crocheted bedspread on an antique bed. It was lovely - and neat.

So he stayed with us a while. He made the room his own, sort of. Then he got married and moved out again. Well, he left his mess behind. He didn't even make the bed. I decided I would wait until he came to bring the room back to its before condition. I waited, waited, and waited some more.

Then the loving couple moved in with her mother. She was reported to be allergic to cats, and they had two. I said I would keep the cats. They would bother my poor little blind Ralph for at least two years. All the time, I was waiting for him to restore that bedroom - which had now become visiting cat headquarters.

They bought a house, and the cats went to live with them. I was still waiting for the room to be put back in it's original condition, but now G brought a computer, printer, and HUGE monitor from work. They were free you see. He had plans to set up the computer for himself upstairs.

So we were living in a three bedroom plus study (that has a bed) house. How many working bedrooms did we have? One - and the study, sort of. You see - son never did come to make up the "guest room." I have a full craft room. Come to see us, probably sleep on the floor.

So today, I gave in. He won after at least ten years. He doesn't even know of his victory, and probably never will. We are going to have insulation added to the house. They are coming Wednesday to give us an estimate. I will not have the woman who does this see my upstairs in the condition it was in.

So, beaten into submission, I am putting the guest room back in order. Want to visit?? It will be pretty once again - just don't venture across the gallery - it might be too scary in there!

Peace be with you.

2 comments:

Judy said...

We must see pictures!!!

Susan Adcox said...

Too funny! This story reminds me of some struggles between the administration and students when I was a teacher, mostly over dress code. Older people should never engage in a battle of wills with younger people. They are more ingenious at finding ways around us, and they can outlast us as well.

The only way I ever got all of my children's stuff out of my house was to pack it in boxes and say, "Take it to your house or it goes in the trash!"