Friday, April 30, 2010

Wound

I have a fairly new wound. I would take a picture of it and post it, but the wound is on my left pinky finger. I don't think I could hold the camera still with one hand and get it all focused. So you will just have to use your imagination.

A few days ago, I was sewing away - doing machine embroidery. When things begin to go astray, I, at least, have the desire to get the design straighten out. So thinking that I am invincible, I leave the machine running and stick my hands in there.

So on this particular day, I can't remember what was going on. I might have been wanting to cut a jump stitch or perhaps the design shifted, but in go my hands. The machine got the pinky. I pulled the finger out, and the needle broke. I got the machine stopped,and I grabbed a tissue and wrapped my finger.

All of the sudden, G appeared. I guess my scream was louder than I thought. He thought I had fallen and broken my new knee or something. I told him what happened and he came up with a handful of midget band-aids.

It was then I looked. This time I had done it. This was not a glancing blow like last time. You would think I would learn wouldn't you? I looked on the bottom of that finger and there it was - a little telltale hole.

It has been a while and all the blood has long since gone away. I look at the finger now. The nail has certainly been violated. I wonder how it will be as that wound grows out. I would think I will have to bandage it just to keep from snagging it on something and ripping the nail off before it's time.

Have I learned? Yes, pretty much. I looked around and found some tweezers at the fabric mart. They really aren't great, but they will hold the fabric when I need to hold the fabric close to the needle.

Do I use them all the time? I will let you answer that one.

Peace be with you.

2 comments:

Marti said...

OUCH!!!! I'll admit to being a wimp. I always hit the pause button before sticking my hands under the embroidery machine because it would just as soon stitch me into the design. I bet s hole that deep and into the nail hurts for a long time and every time you touch something. Makes me wince to think about it.

Judy said...

Makes my knees weak reading about this--I am so not into blood and stuff.