Monday, October 01, 2012

What all has happened since the last time

Well - my life has been so interesting - I don't remember!  I know the internet at the SSB issue is resolved - unless it is out when we get there the next time.  I do know that we really can't lease out for cattle again until we block the dish off somehow.  It is attached to the deck (I promise a picture the next time we are there).  It is right at cow scratching height.  And believe me - they live to scratch.

On Wednesday night, we went to the Hilda Happy Hour.  It still cracks me up because all these folks ( and G's relatives) are Methodist.  We, being the rebel Lutherans, aren't doing anything wrong, but those folks - happy hour - with booze!!!  Anyway.  I will no longer bemoan how "out in the sticks" we are.  In comparison to the folks that had the happy hour - we live next to a freeway in a subdivision here in Houston!!!

We knew they lived close to the church (Methodist one).  We knew what road they were off.  Well - they are WAY off that road.  We got on this little cow path with the twin ruts for tires of a vehicle.  Of course, dirt - that's a given in this area.  We drove, and drove.  Finally we came up on the creek bed.  I didn't know it went that way, but I should have.  The one we were following asked us once again if we didn't want to leave the car and ride with her.  We were in the Highlander so I felt we were ok.

Now we didn't just cross this creek, no - we drove down it for about 100 yards.  It was full of pot holes.  I was about to jump out of my skin.  I am NOT adventurous.  We had our neighbor with us.  She pointed out that when the creek is up there is a stake you have to stay to one side of.  At least we could see almost all the rocky bed.

Then it was up the hill.  And drive.  And drive.  And drive.  We past one house - nope not that one.  Finally we go around a curve, and there is a barn and finally the house.

These people really do live out in the sticks.  Now I know why they have a house in the little town.  When the creek us up - there is no getting in or out!

I will never complain about how far out we are nor how rough the county road is.  Never, never again.

No comments: