Saturday, February 11, 2012

Busy week

I really cannot believe how busy I was last week.  Usually I don't leave home for days straight.  This past week I was gone almost every day - especially at the end of the week.

G is teasing me about being at the church every time the doors are open, and it surely seems like it.  Thursday evening, the pastor had a reception (wine and cheese) that evening for the 10 top givers for last year.  He finally began addressing our financial situation with us looking for ideas of where we saw the church going.  He still is hesitant about a lot of things that were suggested.  He wants our focus to be on the poor, downtrodden.  Those people who have been minimizalized in our society.  (Spell check doesn't like that word, but I think it is correct.)  I agree, but we need to bring in more money to do these things.  We can't help anyone if we have to close our doors.

It was suggested we take part in the activities of the subdivision across the street.  His response was he didn't want us to take our social responsibility as "giving snow cones to the little white rich kids."  OK - point well taken.  But, just perhaps, we could show their parents who are un-churched or looking for a church, that we are a church right in their neighborhood.  Then perhaps they could help us to reach those in our community who are in dire straights.  Just sayin'

Then yesterday I participated in the chili cook off judging at the elementary school we have adopted.  All the chili I personally didn't like, the other 9 did!  As our Minister of Worship said - seven of the eleven chilies had beans in them.  Texans really don't like beans in  their chili!  But it was a good time with more fellowship among our church members.  I was very hesitant to go.  Since I retired, I don't like to go into schools, but I did.  I had a good time.

Today is our Women's Group with its second meeting.  I have made a terrific onion dip I saw on The Chew, and since I had bananas going bad, I made a bundt cake - from scratch!  It's been years since I have made a cake from scratch, but I think I will have some left for Family Dinner tomorrow night.  I also have a box of wine.  Should be a good time.  Anxious to see who all is there today.  I have heard from some who weren't able to attend last month.  Of course, some have a conflict this month and won't be there.  And some still can't make it.  So, we'll see.

Did some shopping - actually out in the community rather than on-line!  What is happening to me!  I am getting out of being a hermit.  And of course, next week will be real isolation - at the SSB for a week.  Now you can wake up since I bored you completely with this drivel!

Peace.

2 comments:

JuJu said...

Good for you! It sounds like it was a very productive week for you. Did the number of outings decrease the number of arguments with you know who??? :-)

The onion dip sounds delish, although I can't believe you watch that horrible show that took place of our beloved AMC.

Have a good quiet week resting up from this week!

Grandma K said...

JuJu - old habits are hard to break. I am so used to watching something (even though not AMC) at lunch that it is on! I still morn AMC and wonder if it ever will be syndicated.