Friday, September 12, 2008

I don't like Ike! (and I know that;'s not original)

I sit here with the eternal droning of our local "news' people following Ike. This has been going on, without interruption, since at least 6 a.m. yesterday. The worst part is that during the day, cable is not great - at least not what G would tolerate since his business is shut down today.

I am amazed at the dolts in Galveston and associated areas that are still there with the storm about 12 hours away. Things are already dicey there, and the rain has JUST begun. There are going to people on tops of roofs (if they are left after the huge storm surge) with no one to save them. The island is flooded already. I don't know what they are going to to!

We are sitting here in the northwest area. I'm expecting quite a blow and I'm praying that the flooding will be minimal. We have lived here for 34 years and never flooded, but as subsidence has taken it's toll, houses behind us have flooded - with a couple of feet of water in them. The county and city have been working on this issue, but there hasn't been a test of all this. Say a prayer for us that this is not our year to flood.

My drain and I sit here, anticipating the power leaving us soon. It will go out on a bright, sunny day. I'm sure we will be out at least 16 hours. I just hope it's not several days. G decided to try to start the generator - yesterday. Guess what. No go. Our talk about getting a new one - well that will come after all this is cleaned up. It may be a Christmas present. I finally got a portable battery device that will at least run a fan. It is scheduled for delivery on Monday. I think not. I don't look for Fed Ex making their appointed rounds.

I think we will weather this storm, but remember us and the other fools that have stayed in this and the more dangerous areas!

No comments: