Thursday, September 29, 2005

Life is funny

Things that happen in life really get me to thinking. The irony of our lives is sometimes just too much to take in. K will be going to St Louis is November. The same days S is also going out of town for business. So who keeps the kids? The first thought was family. Now if they move, and the same thing happens, who keeps the kids?

Of course, they could end up back in Home Town. The irony there just slaps me in the face. S's family lives there. So what's the problem then? Well as a family they are a train wreck. They are so disfunctional that it is ridiculous. I should not judge them harshly, but they are just flat out trashy people. They want a free ride. I hate the thought they would have a great influence on my grandchildren. S is the only one of the 4 that has turned out to be a good, hardworking, devoted father.

This got me to think about their wedding day. K wanted to be married in our church, by the only pastor she remembers. S's parents wanted to have the wedding in Home Town with the reception being a "bar-b-que in the backyard." Of course, I'm sure we would be expected to provide the food. After all, they had no money. They had and still have the impression we are wealthy. Come on, I'm a retired Texas teacher. After my deductions (the largest being health care) I probably make less than they do on their welfare.

The day of the rehearsal only baby brother was here. He and S got into a huge argument. Baby Brother called his dad. He called S telling him that he was not part of the family any more. Nice touch. We worked hard to get S's daughter to become best friends with my niece and Maid of Honor, E. Otherwise she would have not cooperated as flower girl. She was a terribly spoiled 4 year old - thanks to S's parents. The day of the wedding, we were not sure the other parents would even show up. They arrived about 30 minutes before the ceremony.

At the reception, things got worse. They kept trying to get M to them. They said they would take her to McDonalds. Can you imagine? She was too close to E by that time, so Pops (yep that's what the kids call him) decided that he would fake a possible heart attack so they could leave - in the limelight.

I don't think K has really thought out everything involved with moving away from here. All I can do is sit on the sidelines and hope.

No comments: