Sunday, September 18, 2011

Can we talk here?

We're all friends, right?  And friends shouldn't feel self conscious when admitting absolute stupidity, right?  Well, that's what I am getting ready to do here.  Right here in the blogosphere.

Remember when I said that I made the mistake of getting on the floor to treat Simone's incisions?  Remember when I was stuck there on the floor - not being able to get up?  I am also the woman who doesn't get into the pool because I am afraid that I cannot pull  myself up the steps.  Well, last night I was absolutely, positively insane.

My feet and legs were killing me.  I wanted a hot bath more than anything else in the world.  I haven't immersed my body in the tub in about a year - perhaps less.  I do remember it being rather difficult to get out, but I could.  So - I got in the tub.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Now I don't know how to accept help in getting up (or out).  G wanted me to take a bell or something to ring if I couldn't get out.  That wasn't going to happen - regardless.  I thought I had a plan.

Well - you know how things like that go.  But here's what I thought.  I would put a bath towel in the bottom of the tub.  It would give traction.  That would be the answer.  So the towel went in, the water was begun.  Then I was going to lower myself in.  That's when the traction held.  I plopped with a splash.

But I drew the hot water.  I sat there for a while.  I was in heaven.  Then I was going to get out.  Right.  It wasn't going to happen.  In the time between the last time I was in the tub and this time, I apparently have gotten weaker.   Even the loss of weight wasn't going to help me.

I don't know how long I sat there evaluating my dilemma, but it was a while.  Finally I came to the conclusion there was going to be one way and one way only.  So I wadded up the towel that was already there, added another to make padding.  Then I managed to get my right knee on the "padding" but it was at an angle.

Up I went - threw the left leg over the edge of the tub and  - fell back.  Well.  Isn't this a situation.  I did it again, and I was free.  But then and now, the right knee is hurting.  I don't believe I did anything to the knee cap.  I think it may just be soft tissue injury, but it does hurt.

So, since this is the week we will have to go to the SSB, I will see what happens with the knee.  If it isn't better - I will call the Ortho.  This is also the side that I landed on when I missed the last step on the "killer stairs" in our house.  We all have fallen on those steps - even my sure footed son.

Stupid.  I cannot believe how incredibly stupid I was last night.  I guess it was the rain that we finally got (hurrah), but something certainly short circuited in my brain.  Invincible I certainly am not.  I guess I forget that I am getting old, fat and out of shape.  If I ever have that wild desire again to get in the tub, I hope I have the sense to come back to this (if I haven't destroyed my knee) and remember what I cannot do!

Peace

4 comments:

JuJu said...

Surely, there must be a compromise between no baths and near fatal baths? What about adding a bar of some type to the tub? Is that a horrendous thought?

I'm so glad the rain finally found you! And, I will keep my fingers crossed for more of the wet stuff. Now, you just need to concentrate on getting that knee better!

Judy said...

I had to give up baths--which I love! I had a time like that--tried to haul myself out by the tub bar, but not enough strength in my arms. Finally slid up onto the edge of the tub, but it was scarey. Now we have a HUGE shower where the tub was--complete with seat. It's nice, but it isn't the same as a nice hot soak. Hope the knee isn't damaged!!!

Jeanette said...

I hope your knee is ok. I never take baths but only because I never take the time. Your post has inspired me to start doing some strength training!

yellowdoggranny said...

living in a apt for old farts means having a ton of bars all over the tub area...I love my baths..so know how you must have missed them..