Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The right hand ...

I was worried when G retired. I think we had turned into a couple of old grumps as it was. I thought spending basically 24/7 together would be just miserable. And I guess it could be. I feel like I am really working on keeping things light around here - often accepting blame on things I clearly know I didn't do!

For 30 years we have had separate check books, credit cards, and the like. We each had certain bills we would pay. He knows that now, especially, he makes more in his retirement than I do. It has been ten years since the teacher retirement system has given a raise in our annuity payment, and turning 65 was not a big deal because I get a little over $150 because I have the "wonderful teacher annuity." So people like me with whatever counts as a special annuity gets only a portion of their earned right to Social Security, and when the husbands die - we get NONE of the survivors' payments. Uh, ok - off the soap box and back to the subject.

I let him take the trek to the mailbox, so he sees all the bills before I do. I have been responsible for the pool guy. I sat down to finally pay bills this afternoon, and I found the bill. But in the past G has paid that bill. I think it is going to end up - perhaps not this month, but sometime the pool guy is going to be paid twice.

He has picked up other things - things that would not have the chance of double payment. he dog food is a good example. She has to eat only the best from the vet. She has a troubled stomach. So G has been doing that.

It is sweet of him taking these items. It relieves me from just managing to hold on to the end of the month since, as we all know, everything else is going up. I am just glad we have an honest pool guy!

Peace be with you.

4 comments:

JuJu said...

I hope your pool guy is really sexy. That's one of my fantasies in life.

A pool AND a pool guy. :-)

yellowdoggranny said...

well ain't he a pip...I like that

Cheyenne said...

We always pool our money and since I am the payor of the bills with that money, I spend as I wish also. That's my fee.

Jeanette said...

We pool our money and my husband is the bill payer. He does it better than me. I tend to spend all of the money and he's better at doling it out as needed!