Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Here I am

Oh, gotta get the spider webs out of the corners and dust these baseboards! What a mess after ten or eleven days. Gotta get things cleaned up.

I spend a bit of time rummaging about in my blog log. Lots of neat things there, but I am so far behind. I am going to have to take a systematic approach to catching up instead of the old tried and true shotgun method. I will get caught up with you all though!

My connection was iffy at best. I could read my in-box, but I could not answer or send any emails. I could read one or perhaps two blogs, but that was about it. That is more than I have been able to do before. I had one bar most days. That wasn't much strength. But it certainly could pick up the gmail accounts - that aren't anything personal, and forget coming here to blogger. No way.

It was mostly hot and dry. We had a couple of fronts that gave us one night that wasn't pleasant. We had thunder, lightning (hard to have thunder without it!), and quite a lot of hail. The winds blew almost constantly. I measured one gust at 25, but I really think they went higher.

We were lucky to have a little rain out of that system. The rest of west Texas is dry, dry, dry. Thousands of acres have burned. It is scary being away because there is nothing we can do to help stop the wildfires. We have done all we can. I told G I think this might be the year our place will burn. I know we couldn't help anything if we were there, but still..

I did get to meet up with my best friend in middle school. We had a great time, and it went too fast. I am going to try to get them up to the house. I have been thinking all the ways we could do this. I will get it done!

We had a pigeon appear. You could tell it belonged to someone. It was fairly tame and was tagged. I wish I could know whose bird it is. There was nothing we could do to help the bird. It was really happy eating our corn gluten we put down to try to stop the grass burrs from sprouting. Then it went to the bird seed we had out. There is no water. I am sure the poor thing will die there. I just hate this!

We put our hummngbird food out. Those little things consumed two cups a day! The usual suspects were out - in droves. The black throated ones were back. This year, for the first year that I could tell, we had a ruby throated bird. I was so thrilled!

The worst thing happened mid week. Shadow was intent on an area in the kitchen. G thought it was one of his little play mice, so he went to investigate. Nope - that sucker was real - and alive. We finally killed it, but I am so upset. I thought we had found all the holes they can get in. So when we went to the store, I bought more things to trap/kill them. I put fresh batteries in the one that electrocutes them since it has seemed to be the only one we have that works!

I have babbled enough. There are so many things yet to do, I really have to run. It was fun to be away. Did some neat things, but good to be home as well.

Peace be with you.

3 comments:

JuJu said...

Welcome home! It sounds like you had an interesting time away!

Jeanette said...

Hey I wondered where you were! Hope you guys get some rain soon. It's going to be a long dry summer for you guys if you don't! I'd send you some from MI if I could! We're getting plenty!

Marti said...

Welcome back! Good for Shadow, I think my cat would have watched it from his pillow. I hope they get those fires out soon. I'm afraid we are in for a bad summer. We need rain desperately.