Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I'll bet you can't beat that!

The last visit with my cardio doc a couple of months ago left me with a new prescription. My blood sugar has been right at the higher limit for a number of years, but this last AC1 (or something like that) was also high. So he said we should try me on some metformin. He did not say that I had turned the corner to become a diabetic, but said to go to my primary.

Well, that was a bit of a problem because I had been using the cardio doc. I had seen my primary since it was suggested to me (by my insurance case manager) that I meet with him on just a well patient basis. So I did some years ago that had the doctor's office thinking I was from outer space or something.

When I started taking the med, I did make an appointment with him again - and was treated like a new patient. I tried to tell the appointment clerk I needed him to follow me on this med.

Anyway - to cut to the chase. The cardio gave me an unlimited prescription. It read 6+. So I felt pretty comfortable with it until I have come face to face with the insurance dragon again.

When we go to the SSB, I got really tired of hauling my pharmacy with me. I tried the week holder of pills. Don't like it. The pills find a way of dancing around. Since I am on mail order with automatic refills, I have a back log you wouldn't believe. Since I often forget to take my pain meds, I have quite a back log of those too. There are a few that I haven't been taking long enough to build up a back log. So I thought I would take some partial bottles to leave there. We are there often enough. It would simplify my life.

Such was the case with this one. I know I took the bottle, along with two others with me. Things were fine - I could take all the meds I needed from my stash there. The problem arose when I got back here. I had a second bottle of the metformin here. I thought it was the new refill.

I know - you guessed it. The new bottle is nestled safely in the drawer --- at the SSB with the other "over need" pills. And now those bottles that had several pills in them are empty.
This would not be a real problem if the insurance would allow a early refill. Dealing with the insurance is like banging your head against a brick wall for an hour so you can say it feels so good when you stop.

My next step will happen tomorrow. I am going to the drugstore, and ask face to face if we can get around this silliness if they will sell me enough pills to get me to that magic refill date. It's worth a try.

So should the moral of the story be to not leave medication there so my bag isn't bulging and rattling like I don't know what, or leave it there with a good check list. I have a check list from the last time. It didn't do me any good at all. And so, here I sit with a problem. I think cold, hard cash will solve it tomorrow, and then a big red mark on the top of whatever has to come home will do the trick.

Peace be with you.

2 comments:

Marti said...

I've left my new refill at my mother's house before and sympathize. Can you ask for some samples from the dr. office to tide you over?

JuJu said...

Good luck to you! I know you hate putting out the cash for it, but your health is the most important.

I take 5 pills a day, and it drives me bonkers. Keeping up with more than that would be a chore! Kudos to you for doing it.

Hang in there baby, insurance day is coming!