Monday, April 25, 2011

Monday let down

It really isn't a let down. It really is peace and quiet. Five grandchildren can certainly fill up a space, and I know that five isn't the final number. But - oh well. I dearly love them all.

Monkey Boy was the hardest for a long time. I really thought he hated me for a long time. He would have to be prodded to give a hug - and a kiss - well ...

I have witnessed too many "now kiss Granny" situations. The kids weren't really into that. I didn't want Monkey Boy to be like that. And the thought of me baby sitting him. You would have thought I would pour hot oil on him during the specified time.

But, I sat back. I let him make the first move, and he has. He will come to sit by me. He will give me hugs and kisses, and you know what - they are more sweet because it comes from him. He actually likes to be around me,

Last night, we are all gathered around the little breakfast table - four of us sitting and four of the others standing. G announced that the dining room table was ready. That kind of broke the spell we had going (it was the best time we have had as a family in a very long time).

Lady But went to the dining room, and came back a short time later. She was the only one in there. Even though it is just on the other side of the kitchen, you definitely feel alone. I told her I would eat with her. I have always enjoyed her, and the older she gets the more fun she is!

We were eating and talking when I look up and there is Monkey! He came to be with us. That really made the evening special. When we retired to the den - he sat beside me on the couch and snuggled up beside me.

Waiting and giving things a chance really is a good policy. Now if it will just work on Son's son. I will be here - waiting for him.

Peace be with you.

He is raised indeed - hallelujah!



7 comments:

JuJu said...

You are a wise woman. VERY wise.

I have NO patience, and always end up forcing myself into situations. I could learn from you!!

Grandma K said...

Oh JuJu - thank you for the compliment. I have learned a few things over the years. I feel like I sometimes get one right occasionally!

yellowdoggranny said...

the other day babs and i were having lunch at pizza house and I looked up and all I saw was this big ass grin..a very very happy face..it was my granddaughter and she had just spotted me...made my day.

Cheyenne said...

I have two siblings and we were raised on the quiet side so to speak. We somehow weren't "taught" to give kisses and hugs to anyone. why, I don't know, since we had a happy home and upbringing otherwise. When I married my current husband he taught me how to do those things and I will forever be grateful to him for that.

Judy said...

My youngest grandson is standoffish toward me. So I don't press him either--he is very close to Fred and that is nice.

Jeanette said...

I don't have grandkids yet but I can inmagine it's not easy to keep from hugging and kissing!

Jenn Jilks said...

DOn't they wear you out?!
OUrs are visiting this weekend. Should be fun.