Friday, March 25, 2011

What?

I watch a lot of tv. I always have, and I suppose I always will. That may not be true because I find myself with it turned off - especially if I am trying to concentrate on something.

I was watching a commercial with an especially cute young thing going through magic changes of attire. She really is a cutie. Some girls can't handle something like this, or perhaps it is just a really good casting call with an especially good director.

Anyway, I was thinking while watching her that I wish I could wear clothes like that. I just wouldn't feel comfortable in those short skirts and shorts period. It hit me then that I am 65! Now just when did this happen?

You seldom saw that particular statistic about me here. I try to never give it out. I want to be my mental age (no laughing over there in the corner!). I consider myself to be in my late thirties and wonder why the heck it is so hard to get around. Other thirty somethings don't have swollen joints in their hands.

And hands! Just when did those suckers get all wrinkly? There is a lot of loose skin to match those enlarged joints. My fingers are not as agile as they were. And it seems like the changes have taken place overnight - literally OVERNIGHT.

Has this happened to you? Do you still think like a thirty year (or younger - sometimes I think I am still 18) ?

Seriously - in many moments I expect to look in a mirror and see my younger self. I think of the age of 65. How did I get here so fast? I still look at the older people and not relate to them.

G's Aunt Weetzie (that is her real nickname - it fits her - I love her so) went to look at Assisted Living places. She was well into her seventies. She told me she didn't want to live "with those old folks. She has my same disease. We are simply not the age as it works out from our birth certificates!

So, here I sit and wonder how this all happened. Don't get me wrong, I am glad I am still able to think about this. I have jumped a lot of hurtles to get here. Hopefully I will still be jumping them next January when my five year survival comes around. Now it's time to get back to wondering.

Peace be with you.

4 comments:

Jeanette said...

I was at a jr. high school reunion last year and couldn't believe how old everyone looked! And we were all the same age!!

Cheyenne said...

Yes, I do the same thing. I sometimes feel my age but most other times I don't...until I look in the mirror and wonder who the hell that is looking back at me. I want to yell at her and tell her to go away but she never does so why bother.

JuJu said...

I look at my hands and see the hands of my mother. Dry and veiny. Ugh. How can this be? I'm only 16 years old.
Well, in my mind....

Susan Adcox said...

Great post! It's true that there is something essential in us all that doesn't age. That's why it comes as such a surprise when other parts get old!