Friday, March 04, 2011

How things change

When I was an inservice teacher, having several things going on in a single day was not daunting at all. I could teach all day, and still be able to do two or three things when I got off. It was just the way things were. No problem.

Since retirement, I have become such a homebody! I just don't get out, and my house has become a secure cave for me. No one in - no one out - including me. So my house should be a show place - right? Well that's wrong. Being a procrastinator in the highest levels of that "disease". I have always has the procrastination gene. It even went to my daughter which is one of the smaller reasons she doesn't quit since she doesn't have to work. She sees me and knows she would fit right into my mold! The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
Off the subject again. Yesterday I had sewing club (10:30-12:30) and then a 1:00 appointment with the dentist to get my real I got to the dentist at 12:30. He is five minutes from the house. I thought about dropping my machine at the house and then go back to the dentist, but I didn't because I was afraid I wouldn't get back in time.

So, here I am at the dentist filling out my health history since the last one was a long 3 months old! I will bet just my health histories are two inches thick. I thought the woman (more like a girl) at the desk was a bit surly, but didn't worry about it. EVERYONE else at the office are bright and cheerful. I figured she wouldn't be there the next time I do in, which is now two months away.

I sat in the office. I didn't have my book and the TV was showing some type of a informercial about dental services. After writing "no change" on the top of my health form, I began my search for reading material. It was all male related. I found the paper, and since I didn't have time to read "my" sections as G calls it., I thought this would be just great moment to read it. That took all of five minutes.

I am still sitting there - no others in the waiting room, Staff coming and going for lunch. I am getting cobwebs now. I am desperate to get something to read to spend my time. Time still passes. Then I heard someone mentions my name. Another voice pops up and says I am "out there." Another voice quips "You mean she is in the waiting room?" And the scurrying begins and brings me into the working area.

As I go in, the person who takes the money and sets the new appointment says to me "oh, I just called your house and left a message - just disregard it." Well, alrighty then, and I head onto my room to await my crown. (that sounds really regal!) The rest of that is just the usual fitting.

When I got home, I played the message. It was: "GrandmaK, this is *(*^&* at the dental office calling to help you make another appointment for the one you missed with Dr Pull em out" I had a good laugh over that. I may have hastened Miss Why are you here to make me work's dismissal from that office. Dr Dentist doesn't put up with that sh*t.

So to get back to my original statement, as all good writers are supposed to do, I was really tired when I got in bed last night, I was so tired I started making up phrases to go in the book I was reading. That's when I know it is time to stop reading - I make up things that are not written in the book. The other way I know to stop is when I drop the book. Those things came about when I was on the first page where I left off. To sum up - I just can't do things like I used to!

Peace be with you.


8 comments:

Judy said...

What a joke--on the dental people that is. How could they overlook you? Oh well--perhaps next time the "girl" will be a bit friendlier for what they put you through?

yellowdoggranny said...

I had a dr's apt today at 11:30..I was there at 11:15..went to the drs room and waited 35 minutes..when he came wandering in I said 'it's about fucking time.'....he blanched and hee heeed, and then ducked his head and had the decency to look guilty..felt so much better..ha

tubbyone said...

OMG -- I thought I was the only one who did that! When I try to find my place on the page, the words I thought I had read are not there. I completely made something up.

Marti said...

I've been forgotten before at the doctor's office - sitting 4 feet from the window! I guess they can't multi-task any better than I can. I used to be able to do that, but I'm a one-thing-at-a-time person now. Sorry about your day. Hope you have a good weekend. Is it supposed to rain there?

I know when I'm too tired to read when I read the same line three times and it only sounds vaguely familiar.

Jeanette said...

The end of your post made me laugh because I do the same thing...read in bed until I either make stuff up or drop the book!! Too funny!!

Cheyenne said...

Just about the same thing happened to me at the doctor's office. I sat like forever and people coming in after me were being taken in before me. There are two doctors with two different practices and they share the waiting room but after almost an hour I finally asked what was the problem. They hemmed and hawed and said the doctor was running late, which I knew to be a lie. My file, which had been taken out that morning, got lost in the shuffle and had I not said anything I might still be there and that was 6 months ago!

Susan Adcox said...

You should always have an "emergency book" in your purse or in your car!

Joan said...

I know what you mean ... I have built that cave too. I had an engagement party to go to last night and tried all afternoon to invent an illness so I wouldn't have to go. I started to feel guilty and went anyway. Guess what? I had a really good time. Go figure.