Monday, March 07, 2011

Where did it go?

I had a great topic for this morning's post. When I got in here and opened the computer, I lost that idea. Does that happen to you? I am getting a bit worried. I forget too many things. For good example is my wedding ring. I know that when I put it there (obviously not where it should go) I thought to myself that it was in a strange place I wouldn't remember. Ah, I know myself too well. That ring is sitting right there in the place I knew I wouldn't remember.

I have trouble with names also. If I meet someone and they tell me their name, odds are that I won't remember it two minutes later. I seem to remember names after three or four meetings. I lay that on the fact that I would have to remember 150 names in two days. As least that's my excuse.

All too often, I can't remember what we had for dinner last night - but that's because it must have been some of the slop that I throw together and serve in a thirty minute time period. Rachel Ray has nothing on me. I have been cooking that way for 50+ years.

I once feared my memory loss. That was until our ex-pastor was talking to me. I was his organist for at least ten years. I would ask him about something that occurred when we were doing a wedding or service together. He told me that he has the same problems caused by too much anesthesia. He has had far more than I. In fact neither he nor his cardio doc can remember how many stents he has had put in. I have been under for five surgeries. I have had conscious sedations twice. There just might be something to his claim.

I can add to the claim though. Throw in raising two kids, well he had three, so throw that one out. I have been through menopause (top that one L), and chemo (trumped you there L). I really believe adding those things with a dash of simply just ageing (after all I now get my $67 a month - because I was a teacher with a retirement plan that used to not add into taking SS away). Yep - I have four things that add up to me being a walking zombie!

I still don't remember my topic. It will come to me when I cannot possible write it down. But we will see!

Peace be with you.

4 comments:

flying eagle woman said...

Well my friend, although you never got your topic back, I thoroughly enjoyed your muse on the whole memory issue...for myself, I found a free app on my Droid X (phone) and it's a memory exercise. I do them now whenever I'm sitting around waiting for something or on a plane! I hope hope HOPE it helps
Smiles/Hugs
Shawna

Marti said...

As I am going through my day, I think of things that I would like to blog about, and even half write them in my mind. Then I sit at the computer and I am totally blank.

You play the organ? Another thing I learned about you today.

yellowdoggranny said...

I'm horrible at names..but after 3-4 times I'll usually remember it..
but if I don't ever remember it? it means I don't like you..and my brain knows it and refuses to remember something I don't like..ha

Judy said...

Actually, anethesia DOES cause the death of memory cells in the brain. I was also told that people that have open-heart surgery have memory problems afterwards--months and years afterwards--because, basically, they were "dead" during the surgery. Fred has a terrible time remembering--fortunately (or perhaps unfortunately) I remember everything! Even stuff I wish I could forget.