Friday, January 28, 2011

Yes, I am finally back!

I was all set to bring you up to date on my exciting week in Teensy Town in the Texas hill country, but just getting to this place took at least five minutes. I have had the problem of Blogger setting the other blog - the one I was going to use for business, and I have not been there in forever - in the place of this one. I was prepared for that, but Blogger didn't want to accept all the privacy codes for this blog. It just wouldn't let me in. Well, I am here now so there - Blogger you can't keep a dedicated blogger away from her blog.

The week we were away went very well. The second day we were there, we went to forage for supplies, and that took us to the fairly big city that is also a big tourist trap. That translates into higher prices on everything. We go there for groceries because unlike Teensy Town, the grocery store smells clean - no bad meat smell in the place! They also have a much wider selection since the store is twice the size.

Our first night, we went to the community club meeting. I think there was ten of us huddled about the fire to keep warm. This place is about 130 years old. It is in need of deep repair, but as you can tell by the attendance - it ain't gonna happen from just the dues. But we enjoyed visiting.

The remaining part of the week was uneventful. My biggest problem was having no internet at all. I really hate that phone. I should have kept my feelings about Sprint being the carrier that will cover the hill country. It really doesn't. It is a rare day when all the stars and planets align, and you hold your mouth just right that you get the required signal - and then you better get your business over quickly!

Coming back was jumping into the life here. G had an appointment with our eye doc, and I went for my mammogram. The appointments were in the same "medical center." They build the office buildings about 100 yards apart. To me, that might as well be a mile. So of course, my appointment was in the original building, and his was in the new building. The timing was tight - we were a couple of minutes late to the eye doc, but she never calls us in on time. I don't mind the wait because when she sees you, she talks a lot. She makes you really feel at home and comfortable.

And so now we really begin the reality of G being retired. I said that we needed some things at the grocery store. He made a comment about cutting the grocery bill. I am just waiting to see what he brings back. My list would only fill one of our bags - and five of their plastic ones.

I am glad to be back home, but in a way I really enjoyed being in the peaceful setting. I won't say that to G because this house would be for sale in a heart beat and we would be gone. I don't like it that much!!

Peace be with you.

2 comments:

Marti said...

It sounds wonderful, but no internet?!!! Tell G: Happy Retirement!

Judy said...

Retirement means going to appointments together and having time to travel together.. It CAN be fun, but it takes some getting use to.