Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Well, It's a New Year

And to reflection last year, what stands out?? PT. PT for almost a year. It became all encompassing as it was at least twice a week for almost a year. When I look at my appointment calendar, PT was the appointment there most often. And you know what? It looks like it won't end soon. Dr Inject That Spine doesn 't appear like he is going to release me anytime soon. I am getting just a teeny, little sick of it. I know it is for the good and all, but really? Ok enough.

What did I do on my "vacation"? Well we had SIL and our contractor (SIL's friend as well)there for two days. They got the "skid" for our first store room built and mounted the store room on it. The thing was about to blow away. So much so that G tied a rope around it when we left earlier! They did that in the few hours SIL and I were shopping in the M Metropolis *not to be confused in the huge F Metropolis).

They also had been in the M place. That brings me to why they were there in the first place. Last year, we were inundated with goats. Big, hairy, black goats. They don't belong there, and they are not by any means, homeland goats. So Daughter only saw them when she was going up the ladder to her blind so she was in no place to shoot one. That left G last year, and he did shoot one. He hoped for another billy too, but they all ran after the first one. So this is that first billy.


He took the horns to the taxidermist in the M. We told Contractor buddy about it, and he was all revved up. He would jokingly mutter to us all Dam* G! He was acting like he could hardly wait to get there. These goats are almost as much of pests as the wild hogs that are ravaging Texas. They are able to kill young deer, pets, and they act like plows in yards in cities. On some ranches, they are dangerous and destructive. Some ranches offer hog hunts as another way of raising money to stay afloat. Daughter found some information that I haven't had time to check. They are Catalina goats that someone, some place brought over for hunting. The article she quoted to me said they could bring as much as $1800 a head to hunt.

SIL and Contractor watched them before hunting. They appeared about time for the feeder to go off, There were about 20 this time. When the feeder went off, they ate each and every kernel of corn on the ground, and then laid down to wait for the second one. When it went off, they did the same thing. This is where I say that they both got a billy of their own to mount.

This is where I also mount my soap box for a second. My rule at our place is you shoot only what you plan to eat. There are three exceptions to that rule, which I guess will be changed again sometime. The exceptions are hogs, wild(?) goats, and raccoons. The only raccoons we get are rabid. There had only been one we are aware of, and it was ready to climb 13 steps to "greet" G. They are also so very destructive.

So the trip was ok. I spent most of the time working on photos using the new (I guess) photo thingy offered by Windows 7. You know, I just might start liking this system. I was upset that the blasted phone wouldn't work, I take it back it worked 1 day, like a hot-spot for which it was bought. It did give me my g-mail accounts, but those are not what I really want.

Then again, I found the post it was supposed to make simple. Not. So Much. I just found it had not been published. So, oh well. Don't use something you don't know.

Peace be with you.


















2 comments:

Marti said...

Wow, I had no idea about the goats. I have heard about the hogs both from Hubby and tv reports. I had to read him your post. He said that their hunting lease was overrun with a big horn sheep last year and there are few this year - but they have found some big cat prints.

Judy said...

Nice to see you back here. I was married for 27 years to a hunter and got real tired of cooking rabbit, squirrel, pheasant, venison, elk, bear--I am so happy that I don't have to put up with that anymore--the smell of it cooking sickens me. But glad your hunters are happy.