Friday, April 21, 2006

Money well spent?

Yesterday was one that I will not soon forget. It was the day of changed teeth and a definitely lighter wallet. It was the day I became the proud owner of six, count ‘em, six crowns!

My dentist has wanted to crown my four front teeth for twenty years. He is a great dentist, but he is also very into "cosmetic dentistry." My teeth are just like what my father had - terrible. They are weak and very prone to cavities. He had full dentures from the age of about forty. He decided he was through with all the drilling, etc, so he had the teeth pulled - top and bottom and full dentures. I knew from my twenties I certainly did not want that!
I have (had now) very few teeth that didn’t have cavities that were filled. That included my front teeth on the upper jaw. Even though the fillings were white porcelain, they soon were stained. I agreed with Dr. Pretty Teeth, they weren’t exactly beautiful, but I did not want crowns.

After several years of having no dental insurance, and then having insurance that only allowed the Butchering Dental Clinic, we were able to return to Dr. Pretty Teeth. The catch here - I put off going until I had an emergency. I had a tooth break. So I made the call.

He repaired that tooth with a cap, and immediately began making plans for the other teeth. I told him I knew he looked in my mouth and saw two trips to Europe. I said he had never been. I imagine he is booking the trips as I write.
Before we could proceed with "the plan" I had another tooth break. Another emergency. The dental insurance was depleted. I am on three month recall for cleaning. My mouth is a mess.

The gum situation is solved. I can return to six month recall. I go for a cleaning with hopes we can return to "the plan," but another emergency discovered at the cleaning. Another crown. Oh my!

After New Year’s, I was sitting at the table eating chips because I had been at the hospital most of the day with Dad missing lunch - another tooth chips. It is one of the original four he wanted to crown. The front tooth had chipped years ago, and another had broken off - thus already crowned. It. Was. Time. But not four crowns - six.

So yesterday was the day. After eight hours in the chair, and I won’t even tell you the amount out of my bank account, I walked out with new "teeth" in the front of my jaw.

I think I would have rather had a new car
.

No comments: