Tuesday, April 18, 2006

We're back - and possible hot today!

We made it back in one piece! The long weekend went very well - without even one natural disaster. I have decided that it is my niece, her husband, and child who bring the wrath of bad weather to us at Easter. They decided to do something "fun" to get away from the drudgery of moving and unpacking, so they went to Sea World in San Antonio. Strangely the only thing I heard about anything unusual about San Antonio weather was the terrible unseasonable heat, but then we had that too.

G’s aunt, F, in the hill country community had been diagnosed with ovarian cancer, and is half way through with her chemotherapy treatments. She called on Saturday, and asked if we were going to sunrise services at G’s family’s little church (Methodist). I told her that if we could get our clan going we would be there. We didn’t get going. My sister in law told me F was sorry we weren’t there. She would have loved to have seen us. I really regretted not pushing to get up. We didn’t even go to the other little church which is my family’s church (Lutheran). We were equal family snubbers I guess.

I didn’t know G’s sister was going to be at her house. We can see both houses from ours. When I saw her car, we called and invited her to Easter lunch. We had a delightful time. Dinner wasn’t a strain because I took advantage of the special deal at Honey Baked that provided all the food. I only had to heat the meal. I really missed my double oven that I have at home because the ham was to be heated at one temperature, and the sides another. Things went well. The food was great, and the conversation wonderful. We had not gotten together as a family like this since last Easter. Our gathering for Christmas/New Years was cancelled when Dad was admitted to the hospital. Even though my niece, her husband , my nephew, and my son, and his wife were not there, it was a wonderful gathering. It is virtually impossible to get everyonoe together these days, so we are grateful for whoever can get together - whenever.

Now we are pretty much back to normal - if you include rolling black outs. It seems the unusual heat is causing a demand for electricity. They are supposed to last for 15 minutes, but here in the Houston area, Center Point just turns off an area for about 3 hours instead. I figure we will be in the three hour area today!

No comments: