Thursday, October 11, 2018

What has been happening

Had my follow up appointment yesterday.  I couldn't sleep Tuesday night.  I tried and tried to put the appointment out of my mind, but that doesn't happen for me.  I am prone to insomnia anyway, and it was present with a vengeance.  I do have Ambien, but I don't want to take it too often so I just suffered.

The second blood test (and Lab Corp STILL hasn't posted that nor the Oncologist) was a bit elevated, but he doesn't believe that it is elevated enough to indicate ovarian cancer.  He still believes this is just a benign fluid-filled cyst. His plan is to laparoscopically drain it - without any of it spilling into the abdomen - and (here I am a little foggy) then do a hysterectomy - again laparoscopically. 

I asked why he was going to leave the cervix.  He said it means nothing has to be done vaginally so less risk of infection or other problems like that PLUS no hospital stay and quicker recovery time.

He isn't in a big hurry for the surgery.  I have to contact his surgery coordinator (his wife!) who wasn't in yesterday and may not be in today.  So I will make sure I make contact with her next week.  I got to thinking that while this thing has been there a while, it IS affecting my kidney, so it really needs to be done soon.

He DID say that if any cancer is found, then I would have to be referred to a gynecological oncologist surgeon.  But he doesn't think that will happen.


Yesterday was the high school homecoming parade.  We are a small little town surrounded by the big Houston.  That was so apparent yesterday.  My children went to this high school and were in the hoco parade.  Now my granddaughter was in the parade, again, but this time as part of the Homecoming Queen court.  We will know if she wins Friday night.

As usual, I have to post a picture.  But first, the car belongs to a classmate.  These two have traded barbs for years.  He pushes her buttons!  My daughter and I were afraid this was a terrible hoax on his part, but he really wanted to do this for her.  He was waxing it up to the time the parade began to look its best for her.  Me thinks there is a little hidden passion for her in his heart!  (that's my daughter in the front seat)

Looks like she will be going to college in NEW YORK!  I have always thought of her as a mature "old soul" because of the way she is.  Even as a baby, she seemed ahead of her age.  But now this grandma is thinking "she is just a baby!!"  Oh how I am going to miss this girl.  Since she will be on an athletic scholarship - she won't be home a lot.  Guess I best begin saving what I can to make the trip to New York!

2 comments:

Judy said...

Our hearts just about burst with pride, as our eyes sting with tears that they're nearly grown when we see them in these kinds of situations. I hope she is crowned Queen!!!!

Marti said...

How exciting for her! And I do hope your dr is right, but still hate that you have to have surgery. Isn't laproscopic amazing?