Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Waiting, waiting, waiting.

Waiting for the lab to post my recent blood work, but I should know better.

I was a week ahead of thinking when I would see the GYN.  I have gotten to where time means almost nothing to me.  I usually don't know the date - it pretty much is irrelevant to me.  So when I made the appointment - I was a week ahead.  But that is actually a good thing.

When I made the appointment for the blood test - I chose the location because I wanted to do it correctly - fasting.  (G and I have a disagreement about this - he doesn't believe fasting it a necessity for the metabolic panel and I have always done it that way). 

When I got there, check in was with a machine that read the driver's license.  New, but ok!  It confirmed I had a 9:30 appointment that was 13 minutes away.  The waiting room was, of course, packed.

The technician came to the door and called Karen Unintelligible.  Twice.  I really didn't understand her and thought it was way early.  She came back and called it again.  I didn't want to make an ass of myself by getting up to respond to the wrong name.

I sat there and finally went to the window.  Sure enough, it was for me, and I was marked as a "walk out."  The lady at the desk was so soft-spoken and the waiting room was loud.  Crying baby, TV, etc.  So I stood on tippy-toes to get my head in as far as I could.

My buttock muscles do not do this often.  I could feel the pull.  So I am beginning to hurt.  AND she couldn't find the doctor's information.  He had sent the orders via email - on a hospital request form that had none of his information on it.  It took a good 15 minutes.  My muscles were screaming.

I got taken back for the collection.  I wondered why this cute, shy girl followed.  Then after the phlebotomist found the vein, she asked that girl if she was ready to do the collection.  Since I ONLY have procedures done in the left arm to avoid a problem on the right because of the mastectomy all those years ago, I was a little worried.  Alas - it went well!

I was told the results would be to my doctor by Monday morning.  Nope.  I knew that was false.  This lab never gets the results out that quickly - ever.  Here we are today and still no results posted.

So it's good I was a week ahead!  Hopefully I can take the recent results with me to the GYN - NEXT WEDNESDAY!

1 comment:

Marti said...

Do you know anything yet? I'm on the fence about fssting blood draws too. I have a call in right now to see if they need me to be fasting for my next one.