Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Doing battle - again!

That seems to be the catch phrase these days.  The computer issues have been well documented.  Now it is a new adversary - the Christmas tree.

Several years ago - don't remember how many - I decided that I was going to buy a fake tree.  I was really sick of the expense of the real tree to say nothing about the needles that would work their way into the carpet.

So after Christmas, I went to a store, and bought a tree.  Not a normal tree mind you, but a huge tree that probably had a bottom circumference of about five feet or more.  Plus, it had been a floor model. So problems were inherent.

The first problem was when I was sure it would fit in the trunk of my little Grand Prix.  After all it had the pass through trunk - into the passenger compartment.  No problem!  Yes, problem. I had to come home to get the truck to take that prized purchase home.

I used to wrestle this tree in the living room between the piano and the window.  Didn't really fit, but I made it fit.  Then as the family began to grow, I realized that there wasn't enough room in the living room for presents to be handed out when the time came.

So I moved it to the den.  That was great except there was no place for this humongous tree.  So it went on one side of the island fireplace.  That meant we only had the one way to the front door - which was sufficient.  Right?

Yes, it was good - the tree went there for the last couple of years.  But this sucker weighed 14 tons.  I couldn't manage this tree by myself - especially in the last couple of years.  I had to get my son to put the monster in its bag last year, and then put it away.  He had to get it out for me this year.

But this year something was wrong.  I couldn't get the tree into its base.  It would tilt and roll.  When I put the middle section on, it was worse.  I could see this monster falling on a grand kidlet - it would kill that child.  Plus the entire bottom section wouldn't light.  (I think it was the cord attached - but that's our little secret.  I think it really was OK)

When I was at the same craft store where I got the monster, I saw they had a skinny little tree - about six feet tall.  I remembered that little tree as I was doing battle.  I told G the time had come.  I was going to get that little tree, and monster tree could go to Goodwill or someplace.  Someone could do battle with that tree and love it.

Yesterday morning, I set out to be at the store about when it opened.  I knew there would be a lot of shoppers, and I am accustomed to being out early - if I shop these days.

I went to the manager to get someone to help me.  If I were buying a tree at the full price - I wanted one in a box.  I waited and waited - no one came.  So I went back.  The manager said the little guy didn't see me.  I wanted to tell her - "look at me - I am rather hard to miss!!"

Anyway - I scored the tree. It is so cute, and fits so well.  I just love it.  Very minimal.

The other tree is in the back of the truck awaiting its trip to Goodwill.

Peace.

2 comments:

JuJu said...

There's a family out there with lots of hands just WISHING for that monster tree. So GK, you did a good thang today!
Pictures of the tree????

yellowdoggranny said...

that would never work here..I had to get rid of the 76 foot tree cause dexter insisted on climbing it..so got a little 4 ft tall one and he still trys to climb it..