Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Another day

Strange day. The large house is worth all the cleaning (who am I kidding) and extra utilities. We can be together yet apart. Retirement isn't half bad. Now you know I already knew that it wasn't bad - in fact it is rather heavenly. I am of the opinion that retirement should come when we are young so we can enjoy it fully. All these aches and pains are a limiting factor. But today was another good day. No voices raised.

Now the weather is another thing. Hey - who blew down the protective fence we had up about the middle of the state to keep this winter crap away. The weather nitwits are saying we could have snow or at least a winter mix come Friday. We are just not cut out for this.

I know for a fact with just the temperatures not getting far above freezing is going to cause all sorts of havoc around here. Sprinkler systems are a really popular thing to have here. After all, we look more like a tropical setting than a tundra. Anyway, tomorrow there will be thousands of pictures uploaded to the news stations with beautiful ice sculptures make by broken pipes in the sprinkler system.

It hits us with the tropical bodies of water out back (pools). While they won't freeze over for skating -at least I really hope not - all their little pipes and such that move the water to make it clean need to be protected. You see, if we were to remove all the water from the pool, it would pop out of the ground.

Our freezes last year didn't stop us (yes me too) from going out and buying more of the tropical plants that look so beautiful pool side. Gives you a little vacation right in the backyard you see. Well those babies are usually in excess of five feet. I have started a nice collection of citrus. Right now they are huddled close to the house on the south side adorned with Christmas tree lights and a blankie to keep them warm.

So the village is peaceful, but cold. There are no hot words making the rounds in here, and the icy blasts continue. I really need to find that fence that is letting the cold reach this far! We've had quite enough. I really don't know how you all take this every year. I admire you.

Peace (and warmth) be with you.

4 comments:

Judy said...

In the midst of the blizzard as we speak. We can take it because we have snow plows galore and heavily insulated homes and we are just plain tough.

angela said...

Oh dear, snow in tropical regions. Very nice post--I enjoyed being where you are for a few moments.

Husband has the baby and I have some tea and reading. And am getting over whatever preschool ick got us...

Jeanette said...

Nice post. I could use a little tropical right about now! Spring cannot get here soon enough for me!! (even though we are pretty tough as Jude says!)

Grandma K said...

You all are tough. You live through the extremes of the weather. My hat is off to you.

Thanks for all your comments!