Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Not as bullet proof as I thought

It has come to my attention that I am getting old, and the weather we are having illustrates that fact so well. This is the kind of weather I used to think I would love. Growing up in the southern parts of Texas - be they Gulf Coast or outside the Hill Country, I longed for weather like this. We are right at freezing now, and we may be out of it by Saturday, but we will be pretty assured of snow (and sleet).

The only weather I really knew was summer time temperature usually with highs in the high 90's and lows in the mid 80's. There were times we would get the extreme heat from the deserts to the west from that southwest wind that would be channeled. Then the high could get to 100, 101. Our winters were generally mid 20's to high 60's. It was pretty much a close range in temperatures.

This long spell is something that doesn't usually happen, and now that I am old - I don't like it one bit. I don't have clothing for this weather. My summer and winter attire for lounging about the house is a ratty old t-shirt and a pair of shorts. It fits my needs all year around. I am not prepared for this.

To add to the general misery we Texans are feeling right now, we are being subjected to rolling blackouts. Say what? That's a summer time thing. When it's over 100. Not now. Not with it this cold. But it is happening all over the state. Here in the southern part of the state, it isn't that big a deal. We just don our winter garb - long pants and a long sleeved shirts. As far as my fellow Texans go, my heart goes out to North Texas. They are already covered with ice, and the temperatures are really low. I can only imagine how miserable it is to be sitting in the dark with these cold temperature.

Now for the rest of you folks in the northern parts of the states, my heart and soul goes to you. I simply cannot imagine how terrible this winter must be for you. This year it seems that you have suffered through terrible extremes in the weather. Seems like you got blistering heat last summer, and now you are a frozen wonderland.

At least you are smart - you have basements. I guess we could have basements, but we would call them our in-door pool. Now that would make for some interesting times with electrical wires down there. I do envy you a basement. There can be so many things a basement is good for. But I digress.

It has come to my attention that I am getting old. Now I don't know when this old stuff slipped up on me. I still think of myself as, say 16. Other than forgetting names, where my keys are, and most lately my wedding ring, I think I'm, as we like to say down here, six feet tall and bullet proof. Not so much anymore. When I am talking about something, just as sure as not, I will forget the word I need. For the life of me, I cannot remember names. I forget where I put things - like my ring. When I put that thing where ever I did, I thought at the time I will forget this place. So did I move it? You can guess that answer.

We have a light at the end of the tunnel I think. It is supposed to be warm by the weekend, which would be an especially good thing for those in Dallas and the surrounding areas so the fans can safely get to the Super Bowl. This should be the winding down of our winter. We will have a few more freezes where it does get to 30, but we are almost done with it. I wish I could bundle a package of warm air to send to you all. As Jude put it - you all are tough! (And I am old)

Peace be with you.

2 comments:

Cheyenne said...

Basements are good for two things: fixing it up for living space or a place to put all the stuff yuou don't want to deal with one level above it. When our basement flooded back in '08 we started out new and now it looks like it did before but not quite as bad. At least now the stuff that's down there is newer than the stuff we had to throw out.

We had the ice storm, the temp went above freezing today and things melted, but it will refreeze soon again. And more is on the way. Freezing rain for the weekend and another storm by Tuesday. Dear Lord!

yellowdoggranny said...

this could have come from me..when your used to gray skys and 50's for hard winter...this is not my idea of a good time..I'm like you..who has winter attire?...it does get colder here that where your at..but still may a cold winter day would find me walking to the mail box in shorts and a tshirt and socks..sigh*...below zero tonight..and probably more rolling black outs..although we only had about 3-4...