Thursday, June 17, 2010

Humph!

OK. I waved the white flag. I gave up, and I needed help. Told Daughter I would appreciate her turning some of the neck coolers. She replied "do I have to pick them up today?" I said no. I didn't think I could possibly turn all 50+ of them alone. Well, I sat down after doing other things that needed to be completed, and I began turning. I did all but one last night, and that one I just did.

So today I will press them, find the opening, stitch the other end shut, pour in the hygroscopic stuff, and stitch out label on that opening. This will certainly take some time, but I will find a rhythm, and then it won't be so bad.

But when she discovers that I have finished, crocodile tears will be in order.

I really feel like the little, red hen. You remember that ol' gal. She did all the work, all the while asking for help. It was only when she completed the task (baking the bread) did she get offers of help - to eat that bread. Well, that's the way it is around here. I ask, hint, whatever for help. There are excuses, then all want to share in the finished product

I told Daughter that during the July 4th holiday I wanted to set up a dry run of our craft set up. We need to get things arranged in a cute way - one that is planned out, not thrown up. How did she sound? Well if you can get into negative inflections, that's where she was. I could hear the wheels turning to find a way to get out of it. She finally said she had a four day weekend then. Who wants to set up a table to guess when I will have help? Those of you who place your bets on never will probably be the big winner, but the pot will have to be split too many ways to make it worth your while.

Why don't I get G to help, you say? Even the sound of fireworks can't cover the emissions of curse words coming from his mouth. If he has to do something that isn't on his list of things to do, he becomes a three old with temper tantrums. That is why I don't ask him for help - ever, and when he wants suggestions on where to go, what to eat, and all the rest, I just say "I don't know." After 43 years I have learned that if it is something he didn't want, be it a place, food, or anything else, he will certainly let me know.

Why don't I ask Son? He's married with a child. Does that answer that question? It should.

So this explains why I do whatever needs to be done; it's just plain easier. I am paying for that. My joints are really showing the result of abuse and over work. They have just given out. It is why I don't ask - I just do.

I have made my life sound miserable. Well, sometimes it is, but then everyone hits a point like that. All in all, I have made this bed, and I will sleep in it. Right now, I can "look forward to" S's parents arriving. We are oil and water. They are, in my estimation, the scum of the earth. Fortunately, my house is a mile away from where they will be. A nice, good mile! I will try to raise my estimation of the in-laws. I shall be praying about my feelings for them. I will be praying for them to raise themselves too, but Ill bet they tell S they need gas money to get back home in San Antonio.

Peace be with you.

3 comments:

Susan Adcox said...

I sympathize! It is really, really hard to ask for help. Most of us are used to just doing whatever needs to be done. But when we break down and ask for help, by golly, everyone should leap to help us. In a perfect world, that's what would happen. In this world, it rarely does. I don't think it is malice or selfishness. I think most people are just overwhelmed, or tired. Sometimes the best thing to do is to dial back our own standards. Allow ourselves to do less. But that is hard!

Judy said...

I found out your lesson in the past--it was just easier to do it all myself--and once, I used the Little Red Hen story when it was time to pick veggies from the garden. No one wanted to help, but all wanted to eat. The only trouble with doing it all yourself, is that you end up doing it all. I ended up mowing the lawn (while my husband drank and played his way around the golf course). I did all the yard work, the big garden we had, the house work--even put up and took down storm windows and screens.

Life is different with Fred--it wouldn't LET me do that kind of stuff--and now, neither one of us can do any of it. LOL

Wish I could have been there to help you turn the neck coolers--we could have sat and talked and laughed or cried while we did our task.

Grandma K said...

When it comes to getting things done, I learned long ago not to worry about asking for help. It just doesn't happen, so I just
don' ask. this goes back a long, long way!

You are right Jude, we could have sat and talked and perhaps cry while we worked. We have a lot in common Jude.