Friday, June 25, 2010

Computer Wars

As I sit here in my fuzzy state because the physical therapist will be here about 9:30, and I have only had a single cup of coffee, I have to reflect on yesterday"s fiasco.

The lap top has been acting wonky, so I have been trying to salvage web sites, passwords, etc from it before it may expire completely. It was really acting up yesterday, so in my great wisdom, I thought it would be wise to run a scan to try to clean up the hard drive - anything to see if it helps.

My "subscription" to McAssee had lapsed. I wasn't too upset because I have what consider a great firewall, so I didn't re-subscribe. I thought I could use the old program to run a scan on the computer. Guess what? NO, Nope Nada. You haven't rented us again. You just think you own this program. You have only been renting it all these years. If you want to check your computer, pony up the money, sweetheart.

So I did. Then came the download. I didn't sign up for a life time of sitting at my computer, trying to get the program to download. But that's what I did. At first, I couldn't get the program onto my computer. The error message kept popping up that the download couldn't start.

I guess the trojans lurking in the far recesses of the hard drive threatened the little new program. It was too timid to even open. Finally about 5 yesterday, the program downloaded. This after about twenty restarts of the computer.

Last night I went to bed with the killer doing its thing on the computer. It had gotten to about half of the hard drive. Sometime in the middle of the night, the virus killer completed its task. I turned on the computer this morning, and there were the results. There were four items, including of all things a trojan from FIREFOX. Ye Gad, this is supposed to be the safe way to surf the internet. What would I have had if I had been using the terrible Microsoft Explorer. Mmmmmmm, yeah.

So that's what has been going on with this dear little lap top. She is no longer bright and shiny. She sports some information taped to her large keyboard. She has a few dings, I mean after a;ll, she has quite a few miles on her having traveled from here to the SSB and back. But I love her more than the first day. I have proven it by buying her a new lap top cooler. The other one proved to be no where near as sturdy as she.

What a way to waste a good summer afternoon, right? At least I got a lot more of my novel finished by reading while waiting!

Peace be with you.


No comments: