Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Almost home

Sitting here in Oklahoma with free wi-fi. We will be HOME tomorrow. This return trip has been really something. We are averaging 500 miles per day. Most of the trip has been good, but we did have one real trial.

When I last posted, I thought things were going to be great. A Honda Civic isn't exactly my cup of tea. In the front there is adequate room, but only our two big bags fit in the trunk. The small ones ride in the back seat. However when we checked the mileage is was 38 mpg. OK

Well back to Wyoming of the last post. Things turned south that night or early morning. G got up to go to the bathroom, and I was vaguely aware. Suddenly he started making the most god awful noise. It was if he had taken a pill, and it got stuck in his throat. But he hadn't. He surely was having a pharyngeal spasm and couldn't catch his breath.
I was scared out of my mind. I asked if he had choked on something. No. I asked if he wanted an ambulance. Yes. I began trying to get lights on so I could see; find my glasses, and then call. I was trying to read the instructions on the phone. I really was unsure WHERE we were, and then which room number. Too much traveling. Too many rooms.

The spasm passed, and he no longer wanted an ambulance. During that spasm he really sounded like a child with whooping cough. So I told him to go in the bathroom, turn the shower on hot, and breath the steam. He did (remarkably he followed my suggestion).

After he came back in he told me to go back to sleep. What? Sure, right away. I did go back to sleep - and I guess more than I thought. At 7 he told me to get up. He was dressed and looking in the phone book I had gotten out to look up hospitals. He then called one to be sure they had an ER.

Guess where we went. Guess who is not a driver of the rental. Guess who was scared out of my mind driving to that hospital! We did get there in one piece, and to make a long story short, the ER staff were wonderful. But it was still noon before we got on the road.

Even with the horrible turn of events, we did manage 500 miles and got into Kansas. Destination made.

So now we are here in the 108 degree area of Kansas and Oklahoma. Houston is next - I hope!

Peace be with you.

2 comments:

Jeanette said...

Wow! Bad scare for you guys but I'm glad hubby is ok now. Every once in a while they do listen to us. Have a safe trip home.

Cheyenne said...

In answer to your question on my blog: guilty as sin, but I doubt they will give her the death penalty. I have been watching since day 1 and haven't missed a thing. After court is over, I watch up till 8pm all the analyst shows with lawyers etc. and their spin. Fun stuff. I did take some law classes but things got in the way and I had to stop.