Sunday, February 27, 2011

Time to put away fears

Last month when G really did retire, I was terribly filled with anxiety. I could see each day as a growing battle when he would get his briefs in a bundle. Sometimes he is irritable just to be so. That really hasn't happened yet. The truth of the matter is that we have been busy, but even so. A little of that characteristic showed up when we went to lunch after church, but it seems to have gone away.

The most amazing result of his being retired is that our yards haven't looked to good in a long time. Now the wasted banana plants and canna lilies that clutter the yard looking like boiled spinach minus the chlorophyll are going to be cleaned up and carted away by out usual yard people. After that, between G's work and their cleaning of the tropical stuff that turns to overcooked spinach, the yard will soon begin coming back from the week long deep freeze. I know - don't hate me, we just usually don't have a winter here! So we will be looking for green in those flacid, dead stems that are abounding here abouts.

I am pretty sure G isn't going to rush out to buy a lawn mower and tell the yard people to leave. I don't think he wants to go that far, but he has done a lot of puttering about the yard. That is really not what I expected from him. The only casualty so far was a little green succulent that I was trying to get to grow lushly and fall over the side of the pot. It was doing pretty well - until... I didn't make a big deal of it, and so an argument about that was avoided.

The big time consumer for me has been doctor's appointments. A huge cluster like this comes about every six months. It has been time for the cardio doc, and the oncologist is coming up in a few weeks. We both went to the skin doc for the body scan looking for melanoma (my mom died of that), and I have had dental work that isn't complete yet. And so it goes. I think it comes with age. So far we are not hitting the time of funerals for our contemporaries.

So - things around here are running like a well oiled clock - even the cuckoo hasn't sounded yet. G's retirement hasn't been a bad thing at all.

Peace be with you.

6 comments:

Marti said...

That's really encouraging. Since dh has been officing at home, he is home working 2-4 hours a day. In that time, he asks me to do things, which isn't really a big deal except it interrupts my routine. That's one of the reasons I've thought of going back to work. Have you heard about the budget shortfall and all the teacher layoffs? Great timing, eh?

yellowdoggranny said...

here's hoping you'll be saying the same next spring..ha

Grandma K said...

Granny - our relationship is at best guarded from time to time. It's amazing we have been together 44 years. As my SIL once said about their marriage, I guess we just didn't want a divorce at the same time!


Marti - Yes, I am not sure this is the time to return. Looks like the politicos are doing everything they can to abolish public education. I really hope things level out.

When my schedule settles down, there might be blood! I will probably just retreat to my blessed upstairs.

Thanks to both of you for coming by and commenting!

Cheyenne said...

Nary a day doesn't go by that the husband and I don't argue about something, but mostly it's all in good fun. Occasionally one will get out of hand but I walk away and forget about it and so does he. Thank God for my computer room...it is where I escape to get away from everything including the 3 cats.

Judy said...

Doctor's appointments aren't all bad--give you a chance to get away by yourself. Fred and I never argue, but that is because we both have been through two marriages and realize that most battles are not only senseless, but not worth the effort in the scheme of life.

Marti said...

I was going to reply in email, but you have your email turned off. I started quilting just to use up all those dibs and dabs of fabric that I hadn't been able to just toss. But I warn you, when you start, it's addictive. I didn't think it would be, but now I'm hooked.