Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Money

I spent about two hours yesterday with the banker I got to know well when I was the guardian for my dad. She is a very out going person, and we usually spend a lot of time talking when we get together. She was sharing some of the weird and terrible things bankers see in their everyday business. They see spouses that come in - some to take exactly half of the joint account - some to take the entire account before surprising their spouse with the news they are leaving. She was telling me about one poor woman who came in to open a checking account This bank runs a credit check before you can open a checking account. She was denied an account. She was appalled saying that she always paid her bills on time. The banker asked if she had any joint accounts. That was a bulls eye. Her husband opened a joint charge account, and he was often late paying his bill. Her credit took a hit because she was on that account. Ouch!

When I got home, B was here taking care of the cats. They have had a time figuring out their finances. C was used to being able to buy whatever she wanted and whenever. B really wasn’t too much better. I have no idea how much credit card debt they are in, and I don’t know if I want to know. At least they are not using the plastic anymore.
But just not using the credit cards doesn’t mean they are not still spending money. C has the idea that they will be able to buy a house, have children, and she quit working, and continue spending money the way they do now. If B wanted to take over the finances, she would have a temper tantrum, and he would back off. He told me yesterday he was taking over the finances. I was really surprised. He handled the situation really well. My baby is (finally) seeming to grow up. I really wish them well. He outlined the way they were going to handle money from now on, and it seems like a really good plan. I wish them luck. It isn’t going to be easy.

It is all too easy for people to get into real trouble these days. Credit is so easily available. I am
so sick of getting offers for cards. I use two on a regular basis. They are used like checks for me. At the end of the month I pay the balance, and it’s done. I also choose to use cash back cards. It works well for me. For some though, it is all too easy to just make the minimum one month or so. Before they know it, they are completely over their heads. I wish these people well. It is a rough way to live.


I really wish B and C great luck. I hope they can get a handle on their money management skills, and can make all their dreams come true. I also hope it doesn't hurt their marriage. I guess we will see what's in the cards.

No comments: