Monday, February 13, 2006

A Soft Place to Land

That’s what happening here. B and C asked if they could come to live with us at last night’s family dinner. It seems as though C’s mother is, at least according to C, going through the middle aged crazies. Her mom has had this particular boy friend for a long time. In fact, when they vacationed at the little hill country place, Mom and boyfriend went with them. It seems theat Mom has decided to move in with boyfriend and sell her house.

All this comes after two weeks of C and her mom not speaking. That is not a new situation, but this time it appears to be causing a real problem. I guess Mom is looking for a more simple life. From my perspective I don’t think this is the solution, but it’s not my decision nor my life.

When B and C moved in with Mom, I was afraid something like this would happen. C and Mom are together 24/7. That is just too much. K and I couldn’t do that, and we have a good relationship. C works for Mom in a child care facility. C doesn’t know how to work for someone else. She tried for a few months. She cannot take orders. Bless her heart, she just has not had to grow up. Her parents divorced when she was twelve. That was a bad situation for C. She had lots of money thrown at her. It's my understanding she got all the child support monies.

I know they hated to ask if they could move in here. I frankly am scared to death because I know how hard C can be to get along with. I don’t want to have this situation hurt the fragile mother in law - daughter in law relationship, but I cannot tell them they can’t move in here. B told us last week he is taking over the household money. I knew C would have a fit, but she keeps going through money like there was a big money tree in the backyard. He earned $700 in overtime that he wanted to be put away. It was spent.

I am sincerely hoping this situation will bring them into the world of mature married adults. They want to be there. They want to have all the things the rest of us have. They want a house, a baby and all the other things. I hope this is the turning point for them. In the mean time, this house will be their refuge. We will be the soft spot for them to fall, and we will be here to help them rebuild their lives. We will be praying for their success.

No comments: