Monday, February 06, 2006

It never ceases to amaze

I don’t know why I should have been surprised yesterday at church when our pastor used his mother with Alzheimer’s as an example. I could so relate when he spoke of going to see her, and she was non-verbal. He remarked how difficult it is to try to visit with someone when you are the only one who is doing the talking. He didn’t indicate how long these visits lasted. I would imagine they were to be rather long because he had to travel the 200 miles to visit, therefore he would only be once a month. My visits with Dad would be only about 30 minutes, but they seemed to be much longer.
I am really amazed at the number of in my circle of acquaintances are relatives of Alzheimer/dementia patients. Our Parish Associate had her mother die two years ago from the disease. She, too, had to travel about 250 miles to check on her mother. She would go every other week. I really admire her for doing that. I’m sure she did it to help her sister. Being the only caretaker - even if the loved one is in a facility - is a draining experience.


It just makes me wonder if we will ever find a real cure for this disease. I really believe it won’t happen. We are living so much longer these days. I believe our bodies simply wear out. But when I do see hale and healthy (for their ages) people who are 95+ and they are sharp as a tack, I wonder why my dad was stricken. That is the factor I hope will be discovered.

Be sure to visit with your older loved ones when ever possible and let them know how much you love them while you can. They will not always be with you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll tell you what...my grandparents came to live with my husband and I 9 years ago. She had alzheimers. It was horrible loving her and the real her not being there. I took care of her for a little over two years then she passed away. My heart still aches a bit from time to time wishing she would have been there mentally in the end. I miss her still