Wednesday, October 23, 2019

We will be moving before Christmas - probably

The contract was accepted.  It should have - it was full price.  That was a big surprise to the owners I know because they had it "as is."  And that condition is meaning at least $10,000 in repairs.  The pool is in terrible condition, and we have the inspector going there today.

My daughter (and our realtor for that matter) wanted us to offer less.  And then the idea is that if the repairs are REALLY excessive, we modify the contract.  That was until yesterday when the loan officer said the best way to go is to negotiate closing costs.  So I will be talking to my agent today.

So the next step is to downsize our "stuff" which isn't going to easy thing to do.  G would just like to pitch everything - seriously.  If it hasn't been used in a week - pitch it.  Then we pack and move.  After that, I bring in our contractor and he will paint the house and then we will replace the carpets.

On the carpet - I was reading an article about making the house sell faster.  I knew most of them - they haven't changed from 30 years ago when I was in real estate with ONE exception.  They said rather than replacing the carpet - add hardwood flooring.  That is a big no.  If I put in hardwoods or any upscale flooring it would be in the one we are buying.  It is mostly carpet with new tile in the kitchen.  The baths have some wood looking flooring up to the 1970's terrazzo!  There is so little left I don't understand why they didn't go the extra 10 square feet with the "new flooring."  But I had terrazzo until two years ago, I can live with it again.

Now if I can just get all this out of my brain at night.  My insomnia is rampant.  When it gets dark and quiet, my brain is placing furniture and mourning lost possessions.

1 comment:

Judy said...

Maybe hubs would let you update your new house--like add another window by the fireplace?
I am not liking this at all.
I don't mind you downsizing, you need ground floor living and glad it is nearer the kids, but I don't like you being forced into a house you don't absolutely love.
You should be spending your retirement years in a house you love, not just a place because of the location.