Saturday, October 19, 2019

Just WOW

It's been quite a while since I have been here.  And things have pretty much been status quo - until last night.

First, Katie has gone off to Poughkeepsie to college.  She LOVES it.  She flew home for a couple of days on their fall break, and we have been enjoying her so,  She is doing so well.  Her roommate is from Nigeria and they get along quite well.  Her training schedule for water polo has gone to 20 hours a week, and she is getting quite the work out from that.

The biggest thing that has me so torn is it looks like we will be moving from the home I love so and have lived in for 44 years. I dearly love this house, but...

G has convinced my daughter that we are infirm.  She is hell-bent on moving us in with them by some means - either by them selling and us selling and getting a larger home or them enlarging their garage and we live in the garage apartment. She even has thought of enclosing the game room they added upstairs where they would move up into for the master and we take the existing master.

None of these is a good option.  Not for either me nor G.  We are in 2600+ square feet.  We each are in a bedroom - he snores and I have bouts of insomnia.  Those two things don't mix.  One of us will be disturbed.

Anyway - the house next door to daughter has come on the market.  We looked at that house when it came up before and decided it most certainly wasn't our "dream home" nor was it one we really liked.  Well - I am looking at the handwriting on the wall, and this house has gotten too big for me to keep.  I don't do stairs well (I fell from the "killer step" a few months back). 

The one next door is 2000 square feet, so there is certainly enough room for us.  I don't like the boxiness - the kitchen is totally closed off from the den.  My current house is very open, and I love that about it.  BUT compared to my option - even going into the new independent living facilities - I don't like any of those.

So we are going to go look - again today.  We are ready to make an offer.  I am so conflicted.  Being close (really close - not one mile) from the grands will be great - even if Katie is in New York.  Leaving this house that is just the way I like it (not the clutter mind you - it has gotten the best me admittedly).  But there are changes coming one way or another and I want to be the master of those changes, not the recipient of those changes.

Keep me in your thoughts.

2 comments:

Jeanette said...

Good luck, Karen! I know changes like this are hard to adjust to! We moved from a 2300 sq ft house to a 1700 sq feet and honestly, I don't miss all that extra space at all! Just make sure you get the sleeping arrangements you need!

yellowdoggranny said...

Oh man..I know how hard this must be for you both..I'm dreading the day I have to leave the apts and either move in with one of the girls.(I couldn't live with my son and daughter in law)..there would be a murder..ha..
or into West Rest Haven..I hoe will be happy with your move..please don't stress about it..only make it worse..keep good thoughts..a new step in a good direction..love you..