Saturday, November 18, 2006

'Tis the season

I knew it was time, in fact way past time. I knew there would be problems, but I couldn’t help it. I especially knew there were problems when it took the pool guy an hour to complete this week’s service of the pool. The leaves were falling - rapidly. What’s more, there was no cover on the pool.

G said he was going to put the cover on two weeks ago. I should have known to read between the lines with that. That meant I would be putting the cover on the pool. I (silently) refused.

Last year, I would take the cover off for us to swim, and then I would turn right around and put it back on so that our little 15 year old American Eskimo dog would not fall in and almost drown - again. It is hard work. Putting that thing on is like putting a size 10 foot into a size 7 shoe. It has little eyelets with metal things that go into an eyelet. That is if you pull with all your might to get it to the eyelet.

K and S volunteered to help this year. I didn’t skip a beat. I took them up before they could change their minds. This afternoon, S showed up because the kids were napping. K stayed home - the coward.

We got it into the pool, and I put the floats that keep it out of the water in place. I then left it to the men. After ten minutes, S was sweating profusely. The TWO of them were going around trying to get the little metal pieces into the little holes. They were both about to fall out.

At one point I heard one of them remark that they didn’t know how I was able to do that job. I quipped back to S that at least he had G to help him. I did it alone!

As he was leaving, S said that job took the place of going to the gym tomorrow. No kidding! Been there - done that, several times last year. Not doing it again either.

I think I earned a little respect from those two men today!

No comments: