Thursday, October 06, 2005

Terrible daughter

That's how I'm feeling right now. I am not really completely satisfied with the Alzheimer's facility my dad is in. I toured a new, beautiful facility today. The problem is it's $650 more than we are paying now. They have a great staff to resident ratio. I know they would try to keep him busy, but I don't think even one on one would do it. There are times I can't keep him awake.

I really don't know what is cognitative factor is right now. Sometimes he just looks at you when you expect him to respond. When the aides come to take him to the restroom (read change diaper), he just looks blankly at you. If the other facility had been around two years ago, the decision would have been easy. I would pay the extra money. Now I just don't see changing.

I can also tell myself the change itself would be hard. And I really think it would. $650 is nothing to sneeze at. He is safe where he is. He is treated well. I think this is the right decision.

No comments: