Thursday, October 13, 2005

New experience

Today I had a new experience, and it was one I hope to never have again. I was served with a summons! Apparently he was here yesterday and left a card in the mail box (my attorney quipped something about that being illegal since mail boxes are considered Federal property). I couldn't understand why I didn't get the card until I remembered I got the mail while I was still in the car. I couldn't see into the mail box.

The reason for the summons was that I had not paid the entire amount of the bond. Being guardian is not a pleasant job to begin with, but then it also becomes expensive. You pay a bond based on the value of the estate. Since it comes from the estate, the estate diminishes rapidly. What a scheme by the courts, but I do know there are cases of guardians misusing the estate.

I was aware of the increase in the estate. When I called the bonding company, they did not give me the new amount. So the payment was not what the court wanted. I told my attorney that when I called the company, the person to whom I was speaking seemed really irritated by my call. The attorney said she's like that to everyone. Oh well - here goes more money for the bond - and the attorney! I'll still try to do right by my dad. By the way, my nerves are still shot!

No comments: