Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Now how much more?

Dad is living in a memory support unit at an assisted living center. The center has been bought out, and they put on a brunch to introduce us to one of the vice presidents today. He really got an ear full from the families of the MSU people. The woman sitting next to me was going to complain about the increases we get every year in rent, but didn't. I wish she would have. There were complaints however! Most of them were how the laundry never got to the right patient. We have all had things lost. My dad has lost glasses, an electric shaver, his wedding ring, shoes, clothes, and bedding. I hope things get better there. I really don't want to move him. At the rate increases are going, I may have to move him into a semi-private room though.

My dad was such a vibrant and interesting man. He built one house completely, added on to another. And finished out a third. He could work on cars - before the computer. When he was in his eighties, he decided he wanted to learn to play music. He paid for over 10 years of lessons for me. So he bought an electronic organ and took lessons. He was actually pretty good until the dementia. I could tell his playing was so much worse. What was even worst for me was to see him sit there crying. That's what this disease has done the most - he cannot sort out his emotions. Sad.

No comments: