Thursday, February 19, 2009

It really was a "B" day

It's a boy. He weight in at 7 pounds and 12 ounces. He was 21 1/2 inches long. I don't have the other stats - like head diameter. I forgot to get them. Poor Christina labored for 12 hours, and then
she ended with a C section. Her doctor thought all along that was a good possibility, but let her try anyway. Part of me wishes she would have just scheduled the section, but the other part of me knows it is better for the baby to be born.

Several times yesterday I was really alarmed for the baby. The heart beat would drop from its usual 145-150 to 70. That was so very alarming. During Krissi's labors, I was plastered to that monitor. I watched the whole thing like a hawk. With this one, I would watch the contractions lessen, and if she was on the wrong side (left) the heart rate would drop dramatically after a contraction. I was so afraid that a section would be called at any time.

They were adamant about the name. No one was to know (with the exception of her mother) until we were all together again after the baby. This caused me some angst because at first Christina didn't even want us to know the sex of the baby until we were all together again. That means even with the baby brought back from the nursery. Fortunately, that got squashed.

George and I left pretty soon after the birth. He had just gotten to the hospital right after the birth, but had been on the murder jury all day. The testimony yesterday was pretty tough. I had been there all day, and I really needed to come home. So we left without knowing the name.

When we got there this morning, they had just taken the baby for his hearing test. So the name wasn't mentioned. Krissi was there, but had to leave before he got back because she was reading to Katie's second grade class. When he got back, after a few moments, they told the name - with Krissi on the phone so she could hear as soon as we did. Basically, he is named for my father which is so fitting because Brian is his grandfather all over! So we now have little William.

I got to hold the little sweetheart. He is like so many newborns. He just sleeps until someone or something distrubs the status quo. He doesn't like that one bit.

So the little family will be in the hospital until Saturday. My son is so proud of his son. Last night watching them in the window of the transition nursery was really something. He would look into the baby's eyes and the baby would be looking back. The practical side in me kept telling me William could only see a shape, but my emotions were telling me dad and son were both deeply bonded.

Welcome to the family little William.

Peace.

2 comments:

Judy said...

I am so very happy they all are okay. I know, he is so previous. It is such an honor to be a gramma and get to hold them when they are just minutes old. Makes me cry just to think of it. Good job Grandma!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to everyone.

LeeAnn