Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I wish I had the same confidence

Krissi's job doesn't require a lot of travel, but it does happen. The problem with her company is they are used to being a "good ole' boy" company. It was a male dominated company who when they had meetings liked to turn them into frat parties. So they quite often have the parties out of town - away from wives. The "meetings" begin on the night before so they are in place and "ready to go" the next morning. Ha! They are hung over! That next evening, there is a dinner that usually has some sort of "awards," and the next morning when they finally wake, they can sober up and drive home. I know because I once went with her when my grandson was still a small baby who needed to nurse.

Now Steve is saying he can stay with the kids for the three days that she will be gone because he doesn't have to be out of town. If she could handle it, so can he. Nope. Not. At. All. I have referred to him before - a heart good as gold and big as Texas, but the man is a wuss. There is physical strength, but that is it.

So she asked me to call and check on him while he's gone. She is hoping to aleviate the calls (and he calls every 15 minutes and has from the get go) will be how he has a headache, he can't sleep, and on and on. I know him all too well after all these years. She does too, she just doesn't want to face it. He is incapable of taking care of three kids.

One of the last meetings that was in Galveston, he went with her and took the kids. She was absolutely miserable. He was upset pushing her to leave the evening functions. She didn't want to be at those functions, but the bosses expect her to be there. She was miserable. The kids were miserable.

When the meetings are here in downtown, she manages to leave and not stay in the hotel. She doesn't advertise it, just slips out. It puts great pressure on her. SHe knows she is going to be busted at any time.

It would be best if she would just quit, but first in this economy she doesn't want to give up her salary. She likes her job. It is fairly easy - most of the time, and has great benefits that include a vehicle. Also, his work history wouldn't give me much trust in nothaving a job. I have lost count of the number of jobs he has held since they have been together. They usually don't last much, if at all, over a year. So history tells her to keep hers!

I know she is completely stressed, and I wish I could do more to help. She has pressure from job and home life. But she is a big girl now. She, in some ways, made this bed in which she sleeps. When things like this would come up for me, I didn't have family in the area. We had to figure a way to handle it. We did. We were successful, but then George isn't prone to headaches. Hummmmm.

Peace

1 comment:

Judy said...

I am so glad you are close by to help your daughter--and I know she is too.