Monday, February 09, 2009

I'm still here!

Things really got away from me last week. I am not used to having things to do!! I was proud of the order for the seven burp cloths. They all turned out to be really cute. The "little old lady from Pasadena" ended up with a family emergency and could not drive all the way across what seems like the nation. We literally are at opposite ends of the area and in different cities.

I was so tickled when she thought she would be able to meet and exchange money for merchandise. She described them as "elderly." When she called back after the crisis in her life subsided a bit, she was describing her sister (who was the crisis) as being 68. I thought OK, must be a younger sister. No! This lady, Paula, is 58!!! She would really think I am elderly. I just couldn't admit to my 63 years! We are going to take care of all by mail.

The kids were all here for dinner last night, and things went surprisingly well. There is usually a current of, well, concealed dislike. Can't call it anything nicer. The in-laws don't really like one another. I usually spend the night on pins and needles, but it was peaceful last night. C is ready to have that baby, and she is very concerned that her feet look like they belong on the Pillsbury Doughboy. They are so swollen, bless her heart.

She is also concerned about the timing of this baby coming into the world. B has a gig this weekend. He has never had to cancel a gig in these many years, and he doesn't want to now. However, he won't miss the arrival of this baby either. Then we have the Rodeo coming up at the end of the month. There is a BIG do before - the Bar-be-que cook off that runs several days. It is important to his career that he and his band play that event. He gets the cream of bookings there - weddings. He worked hard to get into the cook off, and really doesn't want to lose it.

C is just so done. Mothers you all know where she is. She is 39 weeks, and feels like this is a terminal condition. Up to this point, she didn't want to even consider induction. She was going to wait it out. She really didn't want drugs either. One of their close friends is a dula and will be with her. Vanessa seems to have a real grip on labor and delivery. After talking to C, she was assured that she doesn't have to be a woman warrior. I'm glad. C has come a long way from a home water birth to considering induction AND drugs.

This is another full week. Wednesday is what I will consider the most useless day. I see the radiation oncologist, and I will leave with no more information than I have right now. She will just give me more of her Indian medicine lore and an appointment for 6, 9 or 12 months later. And so it is!

Peace.

No comments: