Tuesday, December 16, 2008

And it's not even winter yet

Ok, I spoke about the snow last week. They we returned to the normal balmy weather that is usual for this area.

We packed up to go to the SSB. A friend went with us. He needed to get away for a while, and G invited him to hunt. I think the separation was good for him and his wife. They had gone through a really rough time with his teenaged daughter from another marriage. It was really brutal.

Saturday the winds were about to blow us off the mountain. The hurricane here had nothing on those winds. Sunday the winds stopped for about 8 hours. Then they began again. The temperature reached 82 that afternoon.

We watched the news from the Capitol City. The weather was forecast to get cool. The temperature at 9:30 was predicted to be 42 in that city. That presents a unique problem to me with the thermostat at the house. The house holds heat very well. So sleeping required some cooling. But if it is going to get that cold, well that's another problem all together. I really have to watch the heat because it can become oppressive.

So we went to bed with me thinking I had turned the air conditioner off and just had the fan to the unit running. About 4 a.m., I realized that it was cold in the house. I got a flashlight and went to turn on the heat.

At 8, the house was boiling. But I didn't know what the temperature was outside. When I got up and looked at the thermometer, it was 28!!

We have a saying "if you don't like the weather, wait five minutes." There is truth to that - especially at the SSB.

I am sitting here in Swampland right now. Our low was only about 34, but it is past midday, and the temperature is 45. It has been overcast all day. I am sitting here freezing at this point. But all we have to do is wait. By Saturday, the temperature will be approaching 80 again.

I do wonder what the real winter holds for us though.

Peace.

No comments: